PDA

View Full Version : Starting Hands

FoodForThought
11-10-2004, 07:04 PM
Does anyone know the best starting hands for typical Party $3/$6 games? I have Lee Jones' and Richard Burton's starting hands...but they are quite different. Thanks..............

pokerkai
11-10-2004, 07:05 PM
AA, KK, QQ, JJ, AK, AQ........
in fact...at any limit! /images/graemlins/smile.gif
your weclome...no need to thank me

Evan
11-10-2004, 07:09 PM
Read the tight game reccomendations in Small Stakes Hold'em.

sthief09
11-10-2004, 07:11 PM
Read this (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/1880685329/qid=1100128117/sr=8-1/ref=pd_csp_1/102-1886721-8732961?v=glance&s=books&n=507846)

not to sound snobby, but this type of question is far too basic for this board

FoodForThought
11-10-2004, 07:16 PM
Basic....do you even know those two authors? If you have nothing of value to add...please do not respond.

Lost Wages
11-10-2004, 07:19 PM

sthief09
11-10-2004, 07:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Basic....do you even know those two authors? If you have nothing of value to add...please do not respond.

[/ QUOTE ]

no I have not a clue who Richard Burton is, nor do I care. I'd bet $100 that his book sucks though...

again, your question is too broad and too basic. you expect us to just give you the answer, and the answer is "figure it out yourself." everyone else did it. now it's your turn

FoodForThought
11-10-2004, 07:23 PM
Wow...you are great at discussing. "figure it out yourself" could be the answer to any question here. Jets lose to Bills....lol!!!!

pokerkai
11-10-2004, 07:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

if you havent figured out what hands to play, ya really should be down in the micros...

oh...and heres something constructive for you...

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=999097&page=0&view=collap sed&sb=9&o=14&fpart=1

sfer
11-10-2004, 07:24 PM
Hey dude, you're wasting space. And I'm not talking about posts on this forum.

FoodForThought
11-10-2004, 07:29 PM
Wow...such a friendly thread. I do have a starting hand chart....I am just revisiting. Micros you say...interesting assumption. Oh, by the way....no one has answered the original question....funny.

huxbux
11-10-2004, 07:31 PM
I'll let you in on a little secret...It's generally good forum etiquette to not insult the more knowledgable and experienced posters on this(or any other)board. If you want to learn how to play good, solid poker(as it's apparent you need to)then deal with the harsh responses you'll invariably get, realize it's for your own good, and respond with some semblance of respect to thy forum elders.

Lost Wages
11-10-2004, 07:32 PM
Riddle me this. What should I do when I get raised?

Lost Wages

J.R.
11-10-2004, 07:32 PM
The best starting hands have already been posted. The best preflop strategy depends on a number of things, but if you are using the reccomendations put forth in those books, in which case you are using a flawed preflop strategy.

But for you, the best preflop strategy might involve something like clicking the "sit out" button.

huxbux
11-10-2004, 07:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Wow...such a friendly thread. I do have a starting hand chart....I am just revisiting. Micros you say...interesting assumption. Oh, by the way....no one has answered the original question....funny.

[/ QUOTE ]

Your question is so broad and undefined it's impossible to answer. There is no one, single answer as to what to play for a "typical" 3/6 table, as table textures change from one table to the other thus making "typical" undefinable. A better question would be "How do you change your starting hand requirements on a loose, aggressive table?" or "a tight, passive table?"

Also, just because you play 3/6 doesn't mean any question you might have belong in this forum. Starting hand requirements are the most basic element of beginning play, and if you fail to have a firm grasp on such an elementary subject, you shouldn't be playing 3/6. This type of question belongs in either the Beginners or Micro-Limit forum.

pokerkai
11-10-2004, 07:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i answered your question...quite literally in fact...

sfer
11-10-2004, 07:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
But for you, the best preflop strategy might involve something like clicking the "sit out" button.

[/ QUOTE ]

JR, you're getting good at the bitter sarcasm. I like it.

BottlesOf
11-10-2004, 07:38 PM
You need to get Ed Miller's book. If you're still here in a couple months, you'll realize how ridiculous your question is.

BottlesOf
11-10-2004, 07:39 PM
In case I haven't made it clear, JR is my favorite SS poster.

FoodForThought
11-10-2004, 07:41 PM
LOL...OK chumps, sorry for even trying. There IS an optimal starting hand chart....and the link one of you included is NOT it (22 UTG....please). Wow...what a friendly bunch. I look forward to taking your money (you guys assume WAY too much)....grow up.

sthief09
11-10-2004, 07:43 PM
Party Poker chat brought right here to 2+2!

next he's going to tell us that he makes more money than we'll ever see playing PP 3/6

sfer
11-10-2004, 07:44 PM
I look forward to forgetting you existed.

BottlesOf
11-10-2004, 07:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
There IS an optimal starting hand chart....and the link one of you included is NOT it

[/ QUOTE ]

HAHAHAHHAHA. Sure. Poker is a black and white game.

Actually, one probably could produce an optimal preflop chart, but it would sure as [censored] not be some 2-dimensional grid that you're envisioning. It would have numerous axes that would consider a bunch of factors. It's clear that without and attitude change you will never become a great player.

BottlesOf
11-10-2004, 07:45 PM
holy [censored], that was perfect.

huxbux
11-10-2004, 07:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
LOL...OK chumps, sorry for even trying. There IS an optimal starting hand chart....and the link one of you included is NOT it (22 UTG....please). Wow...what a friendly bunch. I look forward to taking your money (you guys assume WAY too much)....grow up.

[/ QUOTE ]

Keep playing the way you play, we'll keep playing the way we play, and we'll all be better because of it.

huxbux
11-10-2004, 07:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Party Poker chat brought right here to 2+2!

[/ QUOTE ]

Same thing crossed my mind.

"I know I've heard this before...now, where was it?"

SCfuji
11-10-2004, 07:50 PM
anything suited

Shillx
11-10-2004, 07:59 PM
I suggest you visit the Card Player Forum's, their advice is very insightful.

The Shill

stinkypete
11-10-2004, 08:04 PM
look at the "tight" chart from that link you were talking about. that's what SSH recommends. that's the "correct" answer on this board. i doubt anyone will tell you otherwise.

Sarge85
11-10-2004, 08:06 PM
Food -

Unfortuately your greeting to these boards was a bit on the ruff side - I offer no apologies, or excuses, however I should say thanks.

I had a bit of a poker epihany.(spelling? meh) Your comment about a pair of twos under the gun in a loose passive game for instance.... from your tone I would garner you wouldn't play said hand, because it's not on your's, Richard's or whomever else's "chart" your following.

It's was then it occured to me that you, and I don't mean you specifically, but you the novice, or one seeking to improve, or whatever - need to read several other topics before you even get a hold of a starting hand chart.

For months now, I've been preaching to my friends that LL Hold'em is very mechanical in nature. Play tight, play these hands, raise with these hands, raise your flush draws, etc. etc.

Wow - I was wrong to dumb it down that much - and your flippant comment drilled it home.

Before you get a starting chart you need to know about

Loose vs. Tight Games
Implied Odds
Pot Odds
Dominated Hands
Passive vs Aggressive
Applying your PF hands to Post Flop play.

so on and so forth.

So thank you FoodforThought - I certainly have something to chew on now.

end mini rant

Sarge/images/graemlins/diamond.gif

sthief09
11-10-2004, 08:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
look at the "tight" chart from that link you were talking about. that's what SSH recommends. that's the "correct" answer on this board. i doubt anyone will tell you otherwise.

[/ QUOTE ]

PP 3/6 is pretty damn loose. I think you'd be able to turn a marginal profit by limping UTG with 22 or A2s

Trix
11-10-2004, 08:07 PM
Think we can get this up to 50 replies ?

thirddan
11-10-2004, 08:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Riddle me this. What should I do when I get raised?

[/ QUOTE ]

In a live game i find crying works best, online RERAISE!!!

LobstaJohnson
11-10-2004, 11:00 PM
Food:

After all the flaming on this thread, do go out and get Malmuth and Sklansky's books on Low limit and Advanced Play. The charts you want are in there, and the more subtle uses of the charts are explained.

Good luck!

--Lob

======================
Credo che tutti le gente sono i fratelli

ddubois
11-11-2004, 02:21 AM
Any pair, any ace, any two broadway, any two suited, and if you feel lucky, any two connected.

ILL34GL3
11-11-2004, 04:34 AM
Welcome to the forum Food. Don't let the rampant masses of flaming butt knuckles on this forum get to you. They are just trying to rack up big a '# of posts total' by flaming, making worthless posts, and making brown-nosing responses to two plus two authors' posts so they can tell themselves they are poker gurus when they probably couldn't beat a 4 bit/ 8 bit game on Party. Anyway the best answer is read Ed Miller's Small Stakes Hold'em(SSH). You were given this answer prior to saying you hadn't received a real answer. Just don't let these flaming louts discourage you from using this wonderful forum. Good luck.

bakku
11-11-2004, 04:41 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I bet you don't make $64k/year playing 3/6 like everyone else around here does.

pudley4
11-11-2004, 11:47 AM
How did you guys let this great thread fall down to page 2? I'm disappointed.

Oh, and I've always wondered (but kept forgetting to ask): In the sfer/sthief/bison/jbb crew pictured here, which one is which?

http://www.ebaumsworld.com/images/boys-band-in-1960.jpg

LobstaJohnson
11-11-2004, 12:57 PM
LOL, holey crap where did you get that photo?!!!

Looks like Yosh Schmenge and the Flying Schmenge's.

sfer
11-12-2004, 12:32 AM
Those guys look much better than us.

(This picture was banned by the work firewall. Obviously, they don't like geeks.)

private joker
11-12-2004, 12:37 AM
Interesting photo. Over here in L.A., my home poker games always end with one final still photo, and the guy who finished with the biggest chip stack has to have his arms folded. This was from last Wednesday's game (spot Joker on the far right):

http://www.cenedella.com/images/album4e.jpg

In 50 years, if we're still doing this (or we all become Catholic priests), we might look like this:

http://www.cenedella.com/images/album7e.jpg

sfer
11-12-2004, 04:41 AM
This post, not the Fish Daddy O8 thread, should be flaming.

River2Pair
11-12-2004, 04:55 AM
[ QUOTE ]

Oh, and I've always wondered (but kept forgetting to ask): In the sfer/sthief/bison/jbb crew pictured here, which one is which?

[/ QUOTE ]

http://www.bris.ac.uk/Depts/Chemistry/MOTM/silly/oompa.gif

bdk3clash
11-12-2004, 05:14 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

http://www.bris.ac.uk/Depts/Chemistry/MOTM/silly/oompa.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
This photo has obviously been Photoshopped. They're all Evan!

Evan
11-12-2004, 05:47 AM
[ QUOTE ]
This photo has obviously been Photoshopped. They're all Evan!

[/ QUOTE ]
Well done Brad, well done.

I have a question...how come the me in the front isn't wearing gloves? Anyone else think that's weird?

Evan
11-12-2004, 05:49 AM
[ QUOTE ]
http://www.ebaumsworld.com/images/boys-band-in-1960.jpg

[/ QUOTE ]
In all seriousness, does anyone else think that the guy in the back middle actually does look a little bit like boom boom?

private joker
11-12-2004, 06:28 AM
Who would win in a heads-up No Limit poker battle between these two guys?:

http://www.cenedella.com/images/album3e.jpg

vs.

http://www.cenedella.com/images/album1e.jpg

I think Dave is a bit too LAGgy, but weak-tight Tino wouldn't understand shorthanded play well enough to go over the top of Dave with small pocket pairs.

River2Pair
11-12-2004, 06:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]

I think Dave is a bit too LAGgy, but weak-tight Tino wouldn't understand shorthanded play well enough to go over the top of Dave with small pocket pairs.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well I know I'd probably go on tilt after looking across the table at Tino for long enough. That being said, weak/tight never gets the money short-handed.

BottlesOf
11-12-2004, 06:16 PM
Dude, kill yourself.

IndieMatty
11-12-2004, 06:17 PM
Don't "LOL" at a Jets loss. First laughing at your own statements is lame, second..don't diss the Jets.

M