PDA

View Full Version : What now??beginners mistake ??

08-18-2002, 05:57 AM
I come in the game. I don't know any of the players. First hand. I post. 1 caller. I check. SB calls, BB checks. I have Jh5h4h8s.

Flop 3d6h8d. Limper bets , i call, both blinds call. Turn 7h. SB bets , call, call, i raise. SB calls BB fold and the limper calls. River 3h. SB

checks and the limper now bet. I hope for the overcall (should i raise ?) and call. SB raises and limper 3 bet. I muck. Well, SB wins high with a straight. Later l learned that he is in every hand and kind of a maniac. Anyway. How bad did i play ????

08-18-2002, 07:57 AM
I would not have called the bet after the flop.

08-18-2002, 02:41 PM
Did you just get a straight flush on the river? Why did you fold it there? Did I miss thing here?

08-18-2002, 04:24 PM
i didn't even see this.....oh man.....now i know i'm an idiot....i suck.....

08-19-2002, 08:26 AM
I would not have called a bet on the flop.

I would not have raised the turn with the low end of a straight (45 with 678 on board) and no reasonable shot at low.

On the river it is always bad to muck the nuts.

"How bad did i play ????"

In my opinion you misplayed every betting round!

08-19-2002, 05:25 PM
This is one of the most hilarious threads I've ever read on a poker message board. . . .

Sadly, I've probably thrown away the nuts once or twice in my life without realizing it. Never a straight flush nuts, though.

08-23-2002, 03:07 AM
Don't listen to the people who say you misplayed every street -- unless you posted in early/middle position, you played fine preflop.

Flop: Sure, you have an open-ended straight draw, but there are problems. For starters, the pot is rather small. Also, there's already a low possible. Also, one of your open-ender outs makes a bigger straight possible. Also, there are two diamonds on the board. Your call would be weak even if you were closing the action, but here, one of the blinds could always checkraise. I give a two thumbs down on the flop call.

Turn: From your perspective I can see why you think a raise is okay, but once again you have problems. Your straight is much weaker than you think, and having a three-flush in your hand hurts your chances of catching a third heart. Sure, you have a made hand plus a redraw, but it's not a very good made hand and it's not a very good redraw.

Your raise here becomes even more interesting given your play on the river.

River: Best thing I can say about the river play is that's the slowest slowplay I've ever seen.

See, I had initially assumed you were raising the turn because you got excited about having an open-ended straight flush draw, but apparently that slipped beneath the radar. Oh well, it happens to the best of us. Not me of course, but you know, in general.

-Amp