PDA

View Full Version : Direct my education - SnG's vs NL vs Limit?? (longish)

silversurfer
11-10-2004, 04:22 PM
Edit: This was under "pleonastic redundancies" in General Hold 'Em, hoping that some of you who don't check other forums will take pity and throw a little advice my way. If you've read it already, my apologies.

I know this type of post has been asked and answered 1000 times, in a plethora of ways, so my apologies for asking. I have been reading through posts for months and have made extensive use of the search engine. However, as I haven't found the answers I'm looking for, I would still like to ask for some direction.

I suppose a little background might be useful...been playing home games and small tournies for 5 years, started getting serious about it 3-4 months ago. Bought HFAP, TOP (just started reading it), TP(Mcevoy) Learn Poker from the Pros (far too basic Hold 'Em wise but I think it'll be a decent starting point once I try the hi/lo games). Read 2 + 2 almost every day (I should watch it, as my employers may fire me for my net usage and then I'll be forced to turn pro /images/graemlins/cool.gif)
Played primarily 10$ SnG's to get my feet wet, doused a few small buy-ins learning that 178$ isn't enough to play 100nl and that a 40% ROI doesn't mean you are ready for 30$ SnG's with a 10x buy in /images/graemlins/cool.gif

My goal: to continue to learn about the game to the point where I can make this a lucrative hobby/viable source of side income. I'm not delusional - I don't have the skill to quit my day job(yet), but I know that I can turn my game into something respectable. I've read all of the "I wanna be a pro" threads, and understand my game needs waaaaaay too much work.

Anyway...I need a little direction. I like SnG's, intend to focus on them, and would like to be playing them at the 30$ level within 6 months or sooner (while dabbling in MTT's). However I've also read too many stories about the profitability of NL/limit Mt'ing and don't want to leave that equation out of the loop. Here, in no particular order, are some questions. My thanks if you're still here and more still if you have any viable input. If you have a link to a thread I've missed, that would also be appreciated.

Should I focus on Sng's primarily and just absorb all I can from the 1-table forums here, given that there is no definitive guide to SnG's? How did all you Strassa's & ZJ's & Frozens get started?
NL ring games vs SnG's vs limit : am I missing out by not playing one over the other profitability-wise or is it all style of play? (e.g. assuming I some day get to this stage: is there an edge money-wise to mt'ing 50$-200$ SnG's over 200nl tables or say, 15/30 tables? If I'm comparing apples to donuts, set me straight.)
Am I missing out by not being at PP? I've been playing at PS 100%; as I've been playing mostly SnG's, and like the larger initial stack sizes.
Reading: Given what I've read, are there any other definitive recommendations? Would SSH be worth reading if I never did branch out away from SnGs?