PDA

View Full Version : Value bet or be glad to escape?

RunDownHouse
11-10-2004, 04:03 PM
Like I mentioned in an earlier post, I'm in a downswing that is approaching 100BBs, so I'm trying to batten down the hatches. UTG has been mildly aggressive/slightly tricky. Definitely better than the typical Party 1/2. UTG+1 is sLA-A after 115 hands according to bison's autorates.

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (6 max, 5 handed)

Preflop: Hero is Button with J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
UTG calls, MP calls, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, SB folds, BB folds, UTG calls, MP calls.

Flop: (7.50 SB) 8/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 4/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 9/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
UTG checks, MP checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG calls, MP calls.

Turn: (5.25 BB) 2/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
UTG checks, MP checks, Hero checks.

River: (5.25 BB) 3/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
UTG checks, MP checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG calls, MP folds.

Final Pot: 7.25 BB

There weren't any real obvious draws on the flop, so I thought I'd check behind on the turn and decide on the river whether or not to call the inevitable river bet. However, when none comes, from two normally aggressive players, I think my hand is good. So: value bet, or be grateful I'm not confronted with a bet on the river and check behind?

spydog
11-10-2004, 04:29 PM
I think you should check behind on this river. I don't see a worse hand calling or a better hand folding, so checking seems the only option. I would probably bet the turn and fold to a raise. If no one raises, check behind on the river.

naphand
11-10-2004, 05:18 PM
I think no worse hand calls, and no better hand folds.

No-one believes you have a 2 or 3, or a runner-runner. As any player who caught a bit of the flop has a pair higher than the Turn and River card, they (especially) won't fold. Betting the Turn is preferable if you intend to put any more money in, as backdoor flushes will call, and may even check to you on the River when they hit, saving you $$ when they draw out on you. Crappy pairs will probably be too scared to bet but, at Party $1/$2, they will certainly call. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif