PDA

View Full Version : What is the 5-10 rule?

k_squared
11-10-2004, 03:34 PM
I saw a reference to this rule in some posts, but don't know what it is. I play primarily limit hold'em and am trying to get my feet wet in the no-limit game.

-thanks
Kevin

phisfliuch
11-10-2004, 03:43 PM
When you are thinking about calling a raise because you have good position with respect to the raiser (eg, you are to the right of the well-stacked raiser and after other limpers) with a med/small pair or suited connectors, it is an easy call if the amount of the raise is less than 5% of your stack and an easy fold if it is more than 10%. In between, you have to use your judgement based on the circumstances. Note that it is not a knee-jerk response. It depends on whether you will make any money due to sufficient stack sizes or number of opponents (and their relative positions).

k_squared
11-10-2004, 03:49 PM
Got it. That makes a lot of sense because it puts into play implied odds of making a drawing hand by taking into account the size of the bet in relation to your stack... I would imagine one of the additional factors to be concerned with is the relation of the bet to all the callers (and the bettors) stacks as well. If it is 5% of your stack but you are the big stack by a long shot and it is more like 40% of their stack the implied odds from hitting your hand would decrease because they don't have a lot more money to pay you off... Thanks for the info!

amoeba
11-10-2004, 04:37 PM
its 5% to 10% of your stack or their stack, whichever is smaller.

and I don't like to use this rule for suited connectors because your odds of flopping a straight or flush is much lower than your odds of flopping a set with a pocket pair. your odds of flopping a draw are about the same as the odds of flopping a set with pocket PP.

also, position with suited connectors is much more important than with small pocket pairs as with the small pp, you can just set on flop or fold.

phisfliuch
11-10-2004, 05:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
its 5% to 10% of your stack or their stack, whichever is smaller.

[/ QUOTE ]

.. where "their" means the raiser, who is your presumed victim preflop. But keep in mind the possibility that one of the other limper/callers may become your main opponent after the flop.

amoeba
11-10-2004, 05:12 PM
yes certainly true. but usually if its multiway, you might even have odds to hit your set, not just implied odds.