PDA

View Full Version : No callers on the river.

jacksfull
11-10-2004, 03:03 PM
I'm getting the best of it in online $25 NL and PL cash games. But there's one part of my game that I'm finding frustrating. Whenever I get a monster hand, I often slow-play it, and then bet big on the river, hoping for a call. What I'm finding is that my river bet (or raise) isn't getting called. So I'm endjuring the risk of slow-playing, but I'm only picking up a small pot, (based on my calling opponents' bets) and not the big payoff that I am hoping for. I've lowered my river bets from the size of the pot to half the size of the pot and even less, but every time I bet, I get folded to.

These games are supposed to be so loose. Why can't I get paid on the river?

luckycharms
11-10-2004, 03:27 PM
You gotta string your bets. People will get into a calling pattern, and that's ideal for monsters.

Built that pot! Bet it on the other rounds. Prove how loose it is. DO NOT GET TRICKY WITH BAD PLAYERS

Kips Bay Kid
11-10-2004, 03:34 PM
Don't slow play so much at the lower levels, place some value bets to build the pot.

Tilt
11-10-2004, 05:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]

These games are supposed to be so loose. Why can't I get paid on the river?

[/ QUOTE ]

You gotta think like a fish. A fish bets one round at a time, hoping for his dream card each street. Then the pot gets bigger and that $5 value bet at the river looks like a bargain....maybe his middle pair is good after all...when he looks down half his stack is gone.

Lure the fish in. If you wait and make a sudden big splash you scare the fish away.

Richie Rich
11-10-2004, 10:58 PM
Stop checking the flop and only calling or min-betting the turn with your monster hands. Either bet small on the flop (and hope someone senses weakness and tries to raise you out) or bet out as if you're trying to protect a vulnerable hand. Then bet medium on the turn. Then make a drastic "all-in" push on the river or value bet. Be sure to mix it up. Rinse, repeat.

In short, you need to build the pot before the river...

jacksfull
11-11-2004, 03:11 PM
Thanks, guys. I'll give it a try. It didn't occur to me that I can bet and still not look too strong.