PDA

View Full Version : Please Critique This Push With 57o

CarlSpackler
11-10-2004, 01:42 PM
Played in a live 1-table tourney with 11 players, 9 now remaining. I’m in middle position with 4 in front of me, and 4 behind me. I’m short-stacked with 625. The blinds are 50/100, and are going to double in about 10 minutes. The first 4 players fold in front of me, which leaves the following situation:

Hero – 625
CO – 600
Button – 525
SB – 825
BB – 725

I’m dealt 57o. I contemplate pushing, as I know all 4 players behind me extremely well. The CO is extremely weak-tight, and he would need a premium hand to call my all-in. The button is a weak player, and I know he’ll only call with a premium hand as well, and he’s been playing scared to boot. Both players in the blinds would need a big pocket pair, or at least AQ to call me, and it would still be a tough decision for them. All four of these players know me, and I have an extremely tight table image—they would never put me on this play. I determine I have enough folding equity, and I go all-in. I believe this was the correct play, because I know all my opponents very well, I’m only going to see 4 more hands for free, and this is probably going to be my best chance to pick up the blinds.

All opinions and thoughts on this play are welcomed and encouraged.

betgo
11-10-2004, 02:20 PM
Terrible play. You could push with something like T8s, where you wouldn't be a big underdog to a lot of hands that would call you.

I don't care what you know about the other players. There is too much chance someone has a big hand.

With these blinds, it would be OK to push if it is passed to in the small blind with 75o. The combination of pot odds, the chance you opponent will fold, and the chance he will call you with a hand that is not a big favorite make that playable. In fact I frequently annoy the player to my left by always pushing from the SB.

CarlSpackler
11-10-2004, 11:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Terrible play. You could push with something like T8s, where you wouldn't be a big underdog to a lot of hands that would call you.

I don't care what you know about the other players. There is too much chance someone has a big hand.

With these blinds, it would be OK to push if it is passed to in the small blind with 75o. The combination of pot odds, the chance you opponent will fold, and the chance he will call you with a hand that is not a big favorite make that playable. In fact I frequently annoy the player to my left by always pushing from the SB.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've played with the 4 players behind me for nearly a year. I know exactly how they play and think. They're not going to think -- I have KJo and I'm getting pot odds, therefore I'll call. What they will think is -- the hero went all in, so he must have a monster, or at least AJs.

Btw, if you would make this play with 10 8 suited, then you should be making this play 5 7 offsuit.

SmileyEH
11-10-2004, 11:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Btw, if you would make this play with 10 8 suited, then you should be making this play 5 7 offsuit.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not going to do the math to decide what you did was incorrect or not, but this statement is horribly false. Fire up pokerstove and see how these two hands fair against a range of calling hands. Being suited adds almost 5% to your win% alone.

-SmileyEH

CarlSpackler
11-11-2004, 01:43 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not going to do the math to decide what you did was incorrect or not, but this statement is horribly false. Fire up pokerstove and see how these two hands fair against a range of calling hands. Being suited adds almost 5% to your win% alone.

-SmileyEH

[/ QUOTE ]

Obviously 8 10 suited is better than 5 7 offsuit. Everyone should know this. I made this statement in direct reference to the situation at hand, based on the math and expectation. In this specific situation, I believe it is correct to push with any 2 cards. If someone can present a valid argument otherwise, I'll certainly accept it, and learn from it.

raptor517
11-11-2004, 02:08 AM
knowing that u will not be called by anything except aq or better, knowing that they do not understand pot odds, in my mind almost makes it ok to push damn near any hand in your situation. im not sure about the math of someone getting dealt aq or better, but i think that the percentage with only 4 people behind you is not that high. your probability of stealing plus your probability of sucking out is high enough to make this +ev as far as i can tell. good push.

betgo
11-11-2004, 04:13 PM
You are trying to be too cleaver. Even if you only get called by premium hands, your expected gain is only marginal from this play.

Eventually your opponents are going to figure out you are a maniac and start calling you.

Most players in SNGs are the opposite. They call too much.

In one turbo SNG on Stars today, I open raised allin twice from UTG/button for about 15xBB, once with AK and once with AQ. I got called both times by different players, once with K4o and another time with 87s. I lost both hands. I guess they assumed that with the overbet I must be bluffing with junk.