PDA

View Full Version : A STUD 8 question about a low hand..

BeerMoney
11-10-2004, 01:25 PM
My friend asked that I post this question in this forum. He wanted me to do it cause he knows the kind of weight I carry around here.. /images/graemlins/cool.gif..

Anyway, here is his question:

After reading Ray Zee's Stud 8-OB and playing a few thousand or so hands, I am left with a question- should you be jamming a draw to a six (four cards to a six with an A) when the following are true:

* you are up against a poorer low/low draw AND high hands (say 2-4 opp. total)

* your outs are relatively live (considering the other low hand(s) exposed & hole cards)

* you appear to have no high potential (flush or otherwise- the str8 is obviously a longshot with the A)

I would greatly appreciate some advice on this matter, especially what to expect long-term. I've been missing the six lately and losing quite a few bets in the process.

PS. My friends a tool.

Andy B
11-10-2004, 06:14 PM
Generally, yeah, sure, why not? You can sometimes win by pairing that Ace, and you can back into a straight sometimes, so you're usually not completely dead for high. If it's a three-way pot, you may not want to push it. There's an example in Ray's book where you have a draw to a Six against what appear to be a draw to a Seven and trip Queens. In this case, you're only drawing for half the pot and you're laying 2:1 if you raise. You're not a 2:1 favorite to win low, so you can't jam. Usually, however, the high hand won't be nearly so strong, so you should have enough equity to jam. With more players in, you can sometimes jam with the best low hand even if you're only playing for half the pot.

You are going to miss these draws sometimes, and you may question your earlier raises. If you're always getting your money in with the best of it, though, you'll come out in the long run, as long as you don't go broke. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

imported_big ben
11-11-2004, 04:26 PM
Thanks for the reply Andy- I'm the friend that asked the question, and wanted some good feedback before trying to move up in limits. I appreciate the response.

Andy B
11-12-2004, 08:03 AM
Hi big,

For what it's worth, I would have given about the same response whether it was you or Beer or someone else.

pipes
11-12-2004, 11:14 AM
You know your friend called you a tool...

imported_big ben
11-12-2004, 08:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You know your friend called you a tool...

[/ QUOTE ]
Ya, but since he's supergay, I guess we can let it slide...

Michael Davis
11-12-2004, 10:07 PM
"For what it's worth, I would have given about the same response whether it was you or Beer or someone else."

Admittedly, you and the entire stud forum in general are exceptions to the rule in this regard.

-Michael