PDA

View Full Version : O8, how to slow play quads on the flop

07-29-2002, 08:52 AM
I had a hand in a loose, passive, low stakes Omaha 8 game last night that I would like comments on. I was two off the button holding

Qh Qs 5s 8c

No doubt, not much of a starting hand, but this was a very soft game with many players seeing the flop and very little raising. Three players called the BB, and I decided to limp to see if I could flop a set of queens, with perhaps a weak flush draw. The two players to my left and the SB called, and the BB checked. There were 8 small bets in the pot before the flop.

The flop comes:

5 5 5

Well, great. I've got quad 5s, but who else is going to like that flop other than me? As expected, everyone checks to me. I considered checking, also, but figured that I wouldn't get many callers no matter when I decided to bet. I decided to bet, and hope to snare someone with a high pair, or one or two very optimistic holders of A2. I got 2 callers. That was actually 2 more than I expected.

The turn comes up with the 9, suited to one of the 5s. Everyone checks to me, I bet and everyone folds.

At least I got the whole pot. If a little card came up, I might have had to split with a low hand.

Anyone have any ideas for a way to maximize the return on this hand? Of course, Mason Malmuth would say "It doesn't matter, you won't be in this situation, again, for 22 thousand hands." But for academic interest, what do you readers think? ...even you Mason.

07-29-2002, 12:11 PM
you have to check the turn, since now theres no low.

i would guess maybe 1/3 time a card will come off that 1/2 the time 1 player will pay you off.

brad

07-29-2002, 08:30 PM
Well played.

Obviously you win less if you check the flop, since it's doubtful anyone will bet the turn or river. Both of these callers must have had garbage, because they folded on the turn. The most they could have was a backdoor nut low draw, or a backdoor straight flush draw, or both. If you check the flop, as you said, a second low card could come up, and then someone could have a real low draw.

Plus, you can and probably will get paid on the turn and the river by anyone with a big pocket pair by betting the turn. You could even get both people to call on the turn. Who knows, someone might call with a small pair or a flush draw. That adds up to far more than you'd expect from maybe one caller on the river for one bet.

07-30-2002, 03:40 AM
u know it's better to win a small scoop than 1/2 a little bigger pot. u know that....

07-31-2002, 05:05 PM
Bet the flop as you did.

I would check the turn. If either of your callers is behind you give them a chance to bluff now. Checking the turn even if you are last to act gives them a chance to bluff the river.

If no one has bet you have to bet the river yourself. Your check on the turn may convince one of your opponents that you are now trying to steal.

07-31-2002, 09:19 PM
With your hand I agree that you have to bet the flop, but not all quad hands are the same. If I had A25x and flopped quad 5's I'd check the flop and give low hands a chance to catch up a little so they might chase you.

08-01-2002, 03:17 PM
Why would you want them to catch up -- so they can take some of YOUR pot away from you?? I don't care that you have a nut low draw with your A2; you now have 100% of the pot.

Sharing is for kids.