PDA

View Full Version : Laying down AA

puckboy
11-10-2004, 11:50 AM
Recent situation on Party poker

Me utg with AA,( i will ignore suites because flush did not come into play) I call (usually raise but figured i would shake it up a little to see if i could get a check raise). UTG +3 calls button -1 calls.

Flop 5 7 6

I bet utg+3 calls button -1 raises, i call, utg+3 folds

at this point i'm faily certain he flped a straight, do i lay down the AA???

I called him out and he did in fact have the straight

Can someone advise me on proper play in this situation??

Thanks

Evan
11-10-2004, 11:51 AM
[ QUOTE ]
at this point i'm faily certain he flped a straight

[/ QUOTE ]
How? There are probably at least 2 dozen hands that he would've played the same way to this point.

puckboy
11-10-2004, 11:53 AM
he was a pretty tight player

prayformojo
11-10-2004, 11:54 AM
3-bet the flop. Being sure he has the straight is weak thinking. Him having the straight doesn't make it right to think he had the straight.

LobstaJohnson
11-10-2004, 11:59 AM
hmmm...would you still say that, if this was a Tight Passive player he was against? Someone who only raised when he had what he thought was the Nutz?

If you can definitely put someone on a hand, and that hand has you beat, why not fold? On the other hand, I do understand that if your read is wrong, you'll lay down the best hand, and that over time one should simply play properly, take the beats and rake in the pots that make up the difference. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

prayformojo
11-10-2004, 12:03 PM
He didn't say this was a tight passive player who only raised with the nuts. That would require a very good read with a hell of a lot of hands. Since this is information I don't have, I say 3-bet the flop.

adamstewart
11-10-2004, 12:06 PM
5 Points:

[ QUOTE ]
Can someone advise me on proper play in this situation??

[/ QUOTE ]

1. RAISE PREFLOP!!!!
2. RAISE PREFLOP!!!!
3. RAISE PREFLOP!!!!

[ QUOTE ]
at this point i'm faily certain he flped a straight, do i lay down the AA???

I called him out and he did in fact have the straight

[/ QUOTE ]

4. Boy, your instincts were uncanny. Someone raises a flop that wasn't even raised preflop and you immediately put him on on a made straight??

In this case, you were right here, but I wouldn't be jumping to conclusions like that in the future, without any reads anyway. Hell, I'd likely be raising the hell out of A,7 or 6,7 if I was in his position - the way the hand has played thus far.

Again, do you see the value of raising preflop? If your opponent raises an already raised pot, you can be more confident when putting your opponent on a hand in these situations.

5. Finally, pay attention to the suits, regardless of whether a possible flush ultimately ends up coming out. IF you don't, you're missing out on a very important dimension of reading opponents' hands.

Good Luck.

Adam

puckboy
11-10-2004, 12:07 PM
ok, let's say i do cap the flop, on the turn came a rag, if i bet and he raises again. Can i be fairly certain i'm beat at that point??? Cause i'm telling you this guy was tight passive.

puckboy
11-10-2004, 12:12 PM
ok i know i screwed up on the first 3 point LOL.
point 4 thats why i called him out instead of reraising
Point 5 i did pay attention to suites and there was no possilbe flush out there, ifigured i wouldn't bore you all with unneeded details

thanks for the advise

LobstaJohnson
11-10-2004, 04:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]
He didn't say this was a tight passive player who only raised with the nuts. That would require a very good read with a hell of a lot of hands. Since this is information I don't have, I say 3-bet the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

I understand...my question was hypothetical. He then confirmed that this was the case! :-)

--Lob

LobstaJohnson
11-10-2004, 04:06 PM
very cogent and correctly stated post! Thanks! :-)

MoreWineII
11-10-2004, 04:13 PM
Even if homie is weak-tight there are still many many hands he'd play this way that don't involve a straight.

If you have some ungodly read, default to a call-down.

btw, you wouldn't be making a mistake if you raised/3-bet/capped AA preflop 100% of the time.

jayrutz2
11-10-2004, 04:56 PM
Raise preflop, be happy if you win the blinds!

adamstewart
11-10-2004, 06:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Raise preflop, be happy if you win the blinds!

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, this was discussed recently in a thread started by DavidRoss.

Your pocket Ace's are actually worth more than the blinds, on a "per hand basis."

Adam

slogger
11-10-2004, 06:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Your pocket Ace's are actually worth more than the blinds, on a "per hand basis."

[/ QUOTE ]

This is why raising is correct.