PDA

View Full Version : Exposing cards to gain information?

Fairless
11-10-2004, 10:30 AM
Last night i was watching the old WSOP on ESPN classic. A pot came up between Russ Hamilton and some other guy when they were down to like three handed. The board showed K and two rags. Hamilton bet his opponent raised and Hamilton moved in. His opponent then turned his cards face-up on the table and exposed K3o. He thought for a while and mucked. Is this now an illegal move or is it still a legit tactic. I remember in Super System where Doyle mentions something like this however I thought it was primarily dealing with cash games. Those old school WSOP are great to watch I would love to find a DVD set.

mtdurham
11-10-2004, 11:18 AM
I believe that is now illegal.

There was a big issue about it because of a play a few years ago. I believe it was John Juanda but someone can correct me if I'm wrong.

He was playing in the final tournament of the year and needed to only make it a few places farther to win the player of the year award. He had pocket aces and raised someone a substantial amount preflop and laid his aces face up on the table to encourage the player to fold.

Shortly after that they put a rule in place saying you can't expose your hole cards in tournament play.

Richard Tanner
11-10-2004, 01:42 PM
I think (without any proof or course) that this only applies when other people can be effected (i.e. three handed or more). Once you're heads up, however, I believe it's fair play.

Cody

phixxx
11-10-2004, 03:00 PM
I'm quite sure you receieve a 10 minute penalty for doing it in a tournament, but in live play I believe its kosher.