PDA

View Full Version : Thank you, Thank you....

zokbarjazz
11-10-2004, 05:13 AM
Thank you.

Thank you to everyone who posts on this forum for the wonderful perspective you've given me on the game of poker. Why do I feel the need to write this? As you can see, I'm a lurker (have been for a while longer than I've been a member) and usually just read a couple hundred posts a day without responding. But after my 2/4 session at Party tonight, I felt so grateful, so humbled that every penny I earned was thanks to this forum, that I just can't keep it in.

Here's the story. I usually 3 table 2/4. Tonight I started playing around midnight (ET). In the first 10 minutes, I flop two sets and lose both, I get KK and lose to 52o (5 on the flop, turn 5), river a nut straight and lose to a boat, etc., I can't remember it all. For the purposes of this post, numbers aren't important. It's my attitude that was important. Three months ago, put me in the same situation, and I'd be screaming at my computer, enraged, hysterical that I'd just lost $100, and consequently on a vendetta against each individual player who had just taken my money. Now, I can't say I wasn't frustrated tonight. But I paused...took a few deep breaths...and sat out for a few hands and watched the tables I had been playing at, and you know what? Of course you already know...the players were TERRIBLE. Three players at one table with VP$IP over 60! At one table, I was to the left of a guy with VP$IP of 78! A year ago, I didn't know what VP$IP was, let alone PokerTracker, and I would never have understood that these tables were like a gift from above (from Jebus, that is).

So anyway, sorry for the rambling. Long story short, I played for about 4 hours (750-800 hands), and after being down 35BB early, ended up ahead 28BB, only because I can recognize a good table and was able to keep my composure while losing. Yes, my "fundamentals" are better now also, but I attribute 98% of my winnings tonight to attitude.

So in the case that we should someday meet, I owe you one.

Jeremy

Alobar
11-10-2004, 05:20 AM
you're welcome