PDA

View Full Version : Do you believe in Jesus Yes/No?

A_C_Slater
11-10-2004, 03:19 AM
Well. Do you?

wacki
11-10-2004, 03:21 AM
Considering there is a very large amount of historical and scientific proof that Jesus existed, I think this thread would be better entitled "Does God Exist".

Dynasty
11-10-2004, 03:22 AM
I believe Jesus existed. So, do most Jews, Muslims, and Hindus.

Uston
11-10-2004, 03:23 AM
Lies made baby Jesus cry.

A_C_Slater
11-10-2004, 03:26 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Considering there is a very large amount of historical and scientific proof that Jesus existed, I thing this thread would be better entitled "Does God Exist".

[/ QUOTE ]

Could you offer a link that provides this historical and scientific proof. I am not mocking. I really want to know. On the History channel they said there was no historical Roman record of a religious "cult" follower that created minor upheavel in that region of the time.

bonanz
11-10-2004, 03:33 AM
http://pacman.pri.ee/picturez/Insurance.jpg

whiskeytown
11-10-2004, 03:40 AM
you're getting into a really sticky area here...what do you want, a photograph?

you'd have to be a real desperate atheist to deny he ever existed...even the most hard core athestic historians won't deny a man with his name was walking around at that time and caused a whole heapa trouble....

here's an easy link...a few Roman and Jewish scholars in there (and remember, the jewish ones at that time really didn't like him much...so the fact they're admitting his existance isn't an endoresement - but to them it's just historical fact
historical web info (http://www.sundayschoolcourses.com/histjesu/histcont.htm#Secular%20Sources)

Alobar
11-10-2004, 03:53 AM
Read "Holy Blood, Holy Grail" interesting read

Zeno
11-10-2004, 04:08 AM
[ QUOTE ]
On the History channel they said there was no historical Roman record of a religious "cult" follower that created minor upheavel in that region of the time.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you mean cult leader. Tacitus and Suetonius (both roman historians) mention or reference 'Christ' or Christianity. Another roman, Celsus, wrote a book about the 'Christian cult'. The book is lost (most were destroyed) but remains are included in other works by authors trying to refute it.

The overall historical evidence about Jesus is murky. The four canonical gospels are suspect as historical documents (more than 30 gospels exist) for various reasons but it seems clear that a certain person existed which forms the basis for what records we do have.

I think much was added on and embellished about Jesus. I usually think about this ‘Jesus’ as a central character and consider him as more of a myth than fact but to doubt that he ever existed at all is going a bit too far in my opinion. It is also possible that this central figure could be an amalgamation of a number of different persons that roamed throughout this region over an extended period of time.

-Zeno

A_C_Slater
11-10-2004, 04:10 AM
Yes I meant to say leader.

sublime
11-10-2004, 04:12 AM
you mean the guy in the big lebowski? thats john tuttorro(sp) not really a latin child molester

Zeno
11-10-2004, 04:15 AM
The question is a bit misleading I think. Do I believe that Jesus existed? Yes. But considering the religious and historical importance attached to this character you appear to be asking much more than just belief in his existence on this planet.

-Zeno

YourFoxyGrandma
11-10-2004, 04:24 AM
This being a poker forum, I can't believe nobody has yet made a bad Chris Ferguson joke. That said, I'm Jewish; I believe Jesus's existence, but that's about as far as it goes.

whiskeytown
11-10-2004, 05:07 AM
there is no way to sceintifically prove an individual lived 2000 yrs ago unless maybe you could fake a dna sample out of dust bones.

How the hell do you scientifically prove someone lived 2000 yrs. ago - not like you can repeat the experiemnt and create a hypothesis.

RB

goofball
11-10-2004, 05:21 AM
the question is unforgivably vague

Sponger15SB
11-10-2004, 05:33 AM
[ QUOTE ]
the question is unforgivably vague

[/ QUOTE ]

I think a crucifixion is in order.

davelin
11-10-2004, 10:46 AM
[ QUOTE ]
there is no way to sceintifically prove an individual lived 2000 yrs ago unless maybe you could fake a dna sample out of dust bones.

How the hell do you scientifically prove someone lived 2000 yrs. ago - not like you can repeat the experiemnt and create a hypothesis.

RB

[/ QUOTE ]

The same then would hold true of any historical figure - Socrates, Plato, Julius Caesar, Alexander, Nero, etc.

jakethebake
11-10-2004, 11:11 AM
Jesus? My gardener? Why wouldn't I believe in him? He does a great job on the grass and we have the nicest shrubs on the block.

jakethebake
11-10-2004, 11:15 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Considering there is a very large amount of historical and scientific proof that Jesus existed, I think this thread would be better entitled "Does God Exist".

[/ QUOTE ]Well if Jesus existed he had to have a father right? So God must exist. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Topflight
11-10-2004, 11:22 AM
Or Mary was a lying slut

oljumpstart
11-10-2004, 11:33 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Or Mary was a lying slut

[/ QUOTE ]

Bingo!

B Dids
11-10-2004, 12:14 PM
I tend to believe that a guy named "Jesus" may have existed and been a swell guy, claimed to be a profit and maybe got killed. I don't buy the whole "god" part of it thought. But then, I just don't buy "God" at all.

ilya
11-10-2004, 12:16 PM
Wow, the majority said "yes" so far? Creepy...

ThaSaltCracka
11-10-2004, 12:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Thats because there is a pile of historical evidence he existed. Whether or not he was the son of Man is open to debate.

ThaSaltCracka
11-10-2004, 12:17 PM
Yes, we evicted him last month.

TylerD
11-10-2004, 12:19 PM
Exactly.

daveymck
11-10-2004, 12:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I tend to believe that a guy named "Jesus" may have existed and been a swell guy, claimed to be a profit and maybe got killed. I don't buy the whole "god" part of it thought. But then, I just don't buy "God" at all.

[/ QUOTE ]

I read a book whcih was about some of the things talked about in the Da Vinchi code book (which I havent read) he said that Jesus almost certainly existed but was probably more of a freedom fighter type leader than the swell guy view. He suggests that he is from Davids line and some of the things that he did eg riding the donkey into Jeruselem were significant for being the King of the Jews than being the Messiah as we know him.

I think the fact that a lot of the gospels that were written have been destroyed/hidden makes a true picture hard to come up with.

But I aint no expert so the above could also be a load of crap, the book suggested also that Jesus was married to mary Magdelane (that is why she was allowed to wash his feet) and that the Holy Grail is actually their children (ie blood of christ) rather than a chalice with blood in it.

Then goes on about Knights templars and all sorts of stuff, its hard to know truth this far on and with the way he has been presented to us by whichever church/school you were brough up in.

ThaSaltCracka
11-10-2004, 12:45 PM
everything you read is in the Da Vinci code, except the Holy Grail is slightly different. Good read, especially if you are a Christian. I suppose if you hate religion it was a good read as well. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

daveymck
11-10-2004, 12:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
everything you read is in the Da Vinci code, except the Holy Grail is slightly different. Good read, especially if you are a Christian. I suppose if you hate religion it was a good read as well. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the one I read took I guess the headlines from the novel and fleshed it out with historical data to back up/debunk some of the stuff in it.

ilya
11-10-2004, 01:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Thats because there is a pile of historical evidence he existed. Whether or not he was the son of Man is open to debate.

[/ QUOTE ]

I interpreted the question to mean, "Do you believe in the all/most of the things that the Bible says about Jesus?"
I would argue that this is the standard interpretation of the question, "Do you believe in Jesus?"

Sincere
11-11-2004, 12:48 AM
[ QUOTE ]
not like you can repeat the experiemnt and create a hypothesis.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you have any idea what you are talking about? Why would you have to repeat an experiment to create a hypothosis? A hypothosis is just an opinon thats all.

The question was do you believe in Jesus? I have no doubt in my mind that Jesus was a real person so I answered the question yes. This has nothing to do with whether he was the son of God or not.

Sincere
11-11-2004, 12:51 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Just because Jesus existed does not prove that God exists. Jesus very well could have existed, in fact there is no doubt in my mind that he was a real person. However that does not prove that God exists or that Jesus is in fact the son of God.

Sundevils21
11-11-2004, 12:59 AM
I've been told(and read) that there is more historical evidence that Jesus walked the earth than George Washington walked the earth.
I doubt that it's true though.

Danenania
11-11-2004, 03:32 AM
I believe in him as a philosopher and an interesting guy, but I don't think that he was/is/had any connection to God.

NLSoldier
11-11-2004, 05:13 AM
To anyone doubting the existance of Jesus or doubting all the cool stuff he did, I would highly reccomend the book "A case for Christ"

It is written by a former atheist who takes a pretty objective look at the historical evidence for his existence and divinity. He interviews experts in many fields and asks them the very tough questions related to Jesus and faith. If nothing else it is a very interesting read.