PDA

View Full Version : They're driving me crazy!

fervent
11-10-2004, 01:12 AM
I am trying to take my game very seriously right now and earn enough to ascend through the limits. I'm currently playing $1/2.

I know I should be happy that I've found such a fish pond, but I'm having a hard time adjusting to the swings in my results.

I just had a pair of kings cracked by a player who cold called a raise with 54 off, caught a 3 on the flop and called two bets with no pot odds to catch a 2 and a 6.

Any suggestions, psychological or otherwise?

meanjean
11-10-2004, 01:25 AM
I posted something on this earlier this week....look under my name for the post....There was some good advise under it...I would post a link but I'm a dullard

busguy
11-10-2004, 02:37 AM
Not sure what dullard means but here you go.

Link (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Board=micro&Number=1227086&F orum=,All_Forums,&Words=&Searchpage=0&Limit=25&Mai n=1227086&Search=true&where=&Name=20617&daterange= &newerval=&newertype=&olderval=&oldertype=&bodypre v=#Post1227086)

/images/graemlins/smile.gif busguy

Shillx
11-10-2004, 02:44 AM
"I just had a pair of kings cracked by a player who cold called a raise with 54 off, caught a 3 on the flop and called two bets with no pot odds to catch a 2 and a 6."

This is a very very good thing. Play a lot of hands, have a large bankroll and you will do well in the long run if you keep taking beats like this.

The Shill

fervent
11-10-2004, 03:04 AM
[ QUOTE ]
"Play a lot of hands, have a large bankroll and you will do well in the long run if you keep taking beats like this.

The Shill

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly what do you mean by lots of hands? Little suited broadway from early position? Weak suited connectors from late position? Any suited ace? Anything paired? Even against a raise?

I've seen people three-bet pre-flop with A8o!

I'm frustrated and I'm going to buy PoP tomorrow, but I feel like I need help with the mechanics of these crazy loose agressive games.

Thanks!

Shillx
11-10-2004, 03:14 AM
I'm sorry. By playing a lot of hands, I mean play 20 or 30 thousand hands and see where you are.

The Shill

Happy Hour
11-10-2004, 03:34 AM
You really have to look at the long run. You can't get caught up in the results of each hand or each session or even each week.

Forget your kings being cracked. All that matters is if you played the hand correctly. Did you play it correctly? If so, you made money.

Just imagine if you could play 100,000 hands at once. An awful lot of those hands are going to get horribly beaten by bad plays. But if you play them all correctly, then when those 100,000 hands are all done, you will have profited greatly. Would you care about the hands that lost in there? No.

If you play correctly by making +EV plays consistently then the math is on your side. It is virtually impossible for someone who plays poorly (like the guy who cracked your kings) to win in the long run. Just as it is virtually impossible for you to lose in the long run if you are making the correct plays. If you are playing correctly, you have nothing to worry about.

Remember when you were in school? Remember totally stressing over stuff that seems ridiculous now? It is the same thing here. After seeing a zillion of these beats and then seeing that somehow, almost magically, you manage to still keep winning, those beats start to seem pretty insignifigant, even really funny.

Forget each bad player. Count them all as the same player. So what if someone gets lucky making horrendous plays and then gets up and leaves with your money. Someone just like him will replace him. They're all the same.

But the long run is long. Really really long. Tens of tens of thousands of hands. You aren't getting there any time soon. So just sit back, and enjoy the ride. That's why you have a bankroll.