PDA

View Full Version : Small pair in a multiway pot

Your Mom
11-10-2004, 01:06 AM
Party 5/10 6 max - the usual suspects. Everyone else is too loose and generally a calling station. I have my usual tight image - haven't shown anything other than good cards although I don't think anyone is paying attention.

I have 44 on the button. UTG raises, next 2 cold-call, I call, blinds call, all 6 see the flop.

Flop is 753, rainbow. checked to me and I bet. 1 of the blinds calls, UTG calls, and UTG+2 calls.

Turn is 8, no possible flush. Checked to me and I bet. Only UTG+2 calls.

River is a 9. Checked to me, I bet.

Standard?

TazQ
11-10-2004, 01:24 AM
Why not check the river?

Scotch78
11-10-2004, 02:21 AM
I don't see a single hand he'd call with that you beat, so I check behind on the river for sure. I'm also inclined to check the turn. If he called the flop with a straight draw he's likely ahead on the turn, as well as if he has any pair (barring an unlikely pre-flop cold call with A3 or 22). Heads-up in a pot this size I don't see him folding any of those hands, so you'll have to showdown the best hand to win, but you won't have it.

Scott

Jeff W
11-10-2004, 04:32 AM
The river bet is too reckless. It is not for value, so it must be a bluff. Your opponent will probably show down a pair here.

The turn bet is thin. Your opponents are calling stations and they will not fold any pair. They might fold overcards or other weak draws that have a shot to beat you. The question becomes: how likely your opponents are to have a pair of 5s, 7s, or 8s? I take my free card because they are too likely to have a better hand than I and too unlikely to fold it.

Very tough hand, I'd like to hear what other posters think.

Your Mom
11-10-2004, 01:04 PM
I was thinking the river bet was for value. If he has a pair on the flop, he is going to bet it I think. I think he has 2 big cards, so I bet the turn to make him pay to draw. If he folds the turn to my bet, that is okay with me. I bet the river because these clowns call with Ace high. Maybe it's a little too thin.

Anyway, he folded on the river.