PDA

View Full Version : Tech help: Wireless Router

DeathDonkey
11-10-2004, 12:54 AM
So I just got a linksys 802.11g wireless router because i got a new laptop and i want both the laptop and desktop to have internet access from my ethernet at my apartment complex. Anyway I set up the router, security, everything fine and both computers have internet access. The problem is neither one can see the other in the "my network places". What are my options for getting the two computers to see each other? Is the fact that one is wired and the other wireless going to make it more difficult? Ideally I would like to be able to drag and drop files from one computer to the other, is this feasible?

Thanks in advance for any help anyone can provide,
DeathDonkey

illunious
11-10-2004, 01:12 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Ideally I would like to be able to drag and drop files from one computer to the other, is this feasible?

[/ QUOTE ]

Definitely feasible.

OS of each computer and wireless AP model?

Caveman
11-10-2004, 01:25 AM
It sounds like you need to turn on file sharing, also you will need to make sure both computers use the same workgroup name.
How to do this depends on what Operating system you have. Here is a link to the linksys website with some instructions. linksys (http://linksys.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/linksys.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=280&p_created=1084208278&p_sid =ISwhB7qh&p_lva=&p_sp=cF9zcmNoPTEmcF9zb3J0X2J5PSZw X2dyaWRzb3J0PSZwX3Jvd19jbnQ9MTM5JnBfc2VhcmNoX3R5cG U9c2VhcmNoX25sJnBfcHJvZF9sdmwxPSZwX3Byb2RfbHZsMj1B bGwgU3ViLVByb2R1Y3RzoKCgoKCgoKCgJnBfc2NmX2xhbmc9MS ZwX3BhZ2U9MSZwX3NlYXJjaF90ZXh0PWZpbGUgc2hhcmluZw** &p_li=)

Alobar
11-10-2004, 02:50 AM
I was told that to do this would comprimise the security of the machines to the internet. Is this true?

lostinthought
11-10-2004, 03:29 AM
on a related note,

does anyone use a linksys router with a wireless
and have problems with constant connectivity?

I have heard you can open some ports and this problem be solved?

What do you do?

Alobar
11-10-2004, 03:44 AM
[ QUOTE ]
on a related note,

What do you do?

[/ QUOTE ]

Ive got a linksys and wireless and havent had a single problem

DeathDonkey
11-10-2004, 03:54 AM
Both are windows XP and the router is the WRT54G wireless broadband router.

DeathDonkey
11-10-2004, 03:55 AM
Thanks Caveman, this looks very helpful.

DeathDonkey
11-10-2004, 03:56 AM
I don't see how since when file sharing the router is acting like a switch, and the internet access stuff is when it is acting like a router. The functions are entirely separate except the one router handles it all.

Bytestream
11-10-2004, 04:38 AM
Real simple with XP on both machines.

control panel -> network connection -> set up home network

do that on both machines with same workgroup name and your in.

you will have to change options on the folders you want to share on the network (noted by a small hand under the folder)

TylerD
11-10-2004, 04:58 AM
What he said. Also check if your firewall settings allow file sharing, especially if you use a third party firewall such as Norton.

Caveman
11-10-2004, 09:41 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I was told that to do this would comprimise the security of the machines to the internet. Is this true?

[/ QUOTE ]
Simple answer yes, better answer is that it depends on your OS and network setup. Death Donkey is right when he states that a hardware firewall offers some protection, but it must be set up properly.
How many people change the default password to their router setup if it has one? My personal observation of this is about 1 in 5. When setting up a network most people are so focused on getting it to work that security gets neglected. Here are a couple of links to get anyone started if thay want to learn more. Security Guidelines for Your Broadband Network (http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/broadbandnetworking/10_concept_security_help.mspx) and Wireless Network Security (http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/broadbandnetworking/10_concept_wireless_security.mspx)

SlantNGo
11-10-2004, 12:19 PM
Yes it is if you also use TCP/IP for File Sharing (which is by default). If you turn on File Sharing, make sure to Unbind TCP/IP from your LAN or Wireless Connection and use something like IPX/SPX protocol for File Sharing. In other words, get a tech geek to set it up for ya /images/graemlins/wink.gif

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

prrthd
11-10-2004, 12:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I don't see how since when file sharing the router is acting like a switch, and the internet access stuff is when it is acting like a router. The functions are entirely separate except the one router handles it all.

[/ QUOTE ]

It can be a security risk if setup wrong, as others have said. I do penetration testing for a living and if you want me to run a quick scan from the internet on your network I can do it. It is nothing dangerous it just looks to make sure you don't have anything you don't want exposed to the internet.

Just PM me and we can discuss it if you are interested.

Kellon
11-10-2004, 01:07 PM
You also can do some on-line security checking by going to Gibson Research at grc.com and run ShieldsUp! and LeakTest.

mistrpug
11-10-2004, 02:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
on a related note,

What do you do?

[/ QUOTE ]

I do. My connection disconnects for a few seconds at a time maybe 2-3 times an hour on average. Also, the cordless phone that's attached to the same phone jack as the modem/router gives my connection fits when it's in use.

Kellon
11-10-2004, 03:35 PM
I can't answer the issue with any specificity, but I recall reading not too long ago that one of the standards for wireless routers (maybe the "g" standard) interferred with certain other wireless devices in the home, and vice versa. I think this was a particular problem for one of the specific mHz levels of cordless phones.

Sorry I can't be more specific, but it sounds like you should investigate this issue.

DeathDonkey
11-11-2004, 02:38 AM
So this pretty much worked, but when I try to access some folders on the other computer across the network, I get an access denied error. I made the hard drives of both machines shared and able to change files. When I go to open the Program Files folder through the network I get a "no access permissions - access denied" type of error. I am able to access some of the subfolders of the hard drive but not all. Anyone know what could be causing this and how I fix it? It would be nice to be able to access the desktop, my documents, and program files folders to name a few and all are denying me access.

Thanks again,
DeathDonkey