PDA

View Full Version : 88 in BB put to the test

Burno
11-10-2004, 12:35 AM
Hero has original buy-in of $25, villian has $35. First hand at table.

Party 25NL full ring

Dealt to hero in BB, 8 /images/graemlins/heart.gif 8 /images/graemlins/spade.gif

3 folds, Villian raises to $2. 2 folds, button calls, SB drops, Hero calls $1.50. Pot is ~$6.

FLOP 4 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 5 /images/graemlins/heart.gif 6 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

Hero Bets $5. Villian calls $5, button drops.

Pot ~$16

TURN 4 /images/graemlins/spade.gif

Hero Checks, Villian bets $10.

Hero re-raises all in ($18).

Stupid or Standard?

PoBoy321
11-10-2004, 03:39 AM
Now, obviously, whether or not it was the right decision is ultimately decided by whether or not you made the right read, which I have a feeling you did.

The $2 raise doesn't seem like he would be holding 44, 55, 66 or 78, especially from an early position, although I wasn't at the table, so it's possible that he would try to make a play like that. I've seen stranger. With the pre-flop raise, it seems unlikely that he hit any major part of the flop and is most likely on the flush draw, smelled weakness when the 4 hit and made a move. You also have to remember that with that 4 coming, if he does have a 7 (A7s) his outs are decreased because an 8 on the river would give him the straight, but you the full house. The last note I can make is that the obvious worry is of the overpair. 99, TT, JJ, QQ, KK and AA, all deserving of a pre-flop raise, have you dominated at that point. If he was an aggressive player, however, he probably would have reraised on the flop. If, however, he was hoping to extract more money out of you, that 4 would have been a serious scare card, explaining his aggression on the turn. All of these possibilities are a lot to come up with when you're sitting at a table, but they're out there, and I'd be interested to know how the hand finished.

UOPokerPlayer
11-10-2004, 04:08 AM
I play these table at party, I dont think the players went through the same thought process, or much of a thought process at all. Pretty standard play, i doubt this guy has anything. I think you'll get shown a4 or a bigger pair some of the time, but you make your money by getting all in with something like an overpair. His call on the flop can mean any two cards; so i like the check on the turn, it gives him a chance to fire at you.

Burno
11-10-2004, 04:16 AM
Excellent analysis, your thinking is very simliar to my thought process in the hand. The preflop raise felt a bit weak and I further reduced the likelihood of a big PP when he didn't re-raise the flop. I think if he has a big pocket pair he must reraise that flop given the pot size, stack sizes, and board texture.

Factoring my semi-read into all of this I decided that I was ahead more often than not here and pushed. Bluffing or not, the villian had to call my last $8 and the river brought the J /images/graemlins/heart.gif. His AQ was shown and my eights were good.

fimbulwinter
11-10-2004, 05:25 AM
[ QUOTE ]
i like the check on the turn, it gives him a chance to fire at you.

[/ QUOTE ]

i agree.
just remember that if you intend to induce a bluff, you must call it.

fim