PDA

View Full Version : mid stages aggression

bismillahno
11-09-2004, 11:49 PM
With an 11 game (active) OOTM streak at 10+1's going, I'm looking to plug some leaks in my play. I'm thinking I may be getting too aggressive too early, and am looking for feedback on how I'm playing in this situation that seems to be coming up semi-regularly.

Party 10+1, blinds 50/100, 7-8 players left (more than usual). You have ~t650-t1000 and are UTG or UTG+1.

In this position, I've been pushing 66+ and AQ/AK.
Do I need to be tightening up, particularly with the mid sized PP (66-99)? Is anyone trying to limp in this situation?

Any feedback appreciated.

Pepsquad
11-10-2004, 12:26 AM
I'm still limping with 66 through 10-10 here (though I'm pretty sure limping with 10-10 in this spot isn't the most +EV move).

The blinds are still reasonable and most importantly, when you make this bet you open yourself up to every bigstack at the table. Wait for position to try and pick on someone your own size. I can't disagree with pushing AK, but AQ, 66 and 77 are definitely too aggro.
Then again, maybe you're being too aggro. even earlier in the tourney than you think if you are consistently between 650-1000 like you say you are at these levels.

Happy hunting.

Sidekick
11-10-2004, 01:52 AM
With blinds at 50/100 I would limp if my stack is less than 900 with all of these hands except AK. With AK I would either 3x BB bet or push (depending on just how big/small my chip stack was).

To me the problem is you have too many people acting after you when you are UTG or UTG+1 with the marginal hands like 66-99 or AQ. Too many people will call your all-in with Ax or some suited broadway, etc. at this level.

With 7-8 people left the blinds aren't going to rush around to you and most of the other players are going to be in similar or worse chip positions than you are, so let them make the mistakes and get knocked out.

I sometimes feel like I have to make a move when the blinds get to this level, but with that many players left in the tournament you still have plenty of time to pick your spot(s). Let them go all-in with 66 from UTG and have someone in late position call them with KQ or Ax and either knock them out or get knocked out themselves.

Hope this helps.