PDA

View Full Version : HE Limits?

08-14-2001, 07:48 PM
Hello This is my first post so here goes: I've been playing poker for about 6 months or so. I've studied Winning LLH by Lee Jones and HE by Slanksy. Anyway, I find most of what I've learned is absolutely rubbish when it comes to the typical 3-6 game in Mississippi. Most players are going to the river with nothing! Check-raises, semi-bluffs, nothing will get these people off a hand. I'm a tight player which has allowed not to lose in these games but unless you've got the nuts on the flop, some a-hole will draw some miracle card on the river. Now my question, assuming bankroll is not an issue, should I move up to a 6-12 game to get with players who play more theory and strategy and not just throw money to chase every pot? I'm sure there is more than one way to answer this, I'm just looking for a few suggestions. Thanks in advance.

Michael

08-15-2001, 04:31 PM
Michael,

Why is this a problem? Their bad play is to your advantage. If they all see every card that means you can play tight and beat them down when you have the nutz. If they are all psychos...just keep raising with the nutz untill they are broke and leave!!! If you can't possibly bluff play tight and agressive. I have a feeling that after they loose a few games to the nutz you might be able to get the game play you want (more passive players).

Just my 2 cents,

Zach

08-15-2001, 09:54 PM
thanks for your input. i understand your point. it's just that i've learned more about the game and how to play certain hands and then they strategy is useless in a game like the one i described. although, the most important thing is making money and as long as i do that i should just shut up and play. again, thanks for your advice.

08-16-2001, 12:27 PM
Michael,

After you have made a lot of cash off of the pyschos find a table that looks tighter and smarter. Sharpen up your skills with a portion of your earnings (which should be sizable) and learn.

Again just a couple thoughts,

Zach

08-17-2001, 08:48 PM
Of course, this will vary game by game, but generally the strategies found in most books are optimal for mid-limit games 15/30 and higher. You may see a slight difference at the 6/12, but it's not all that different from 3/6. If you're more concerned about applying proper strategies than winning money and don't have bankroll issues, then move up.

sam

08-17-2001, 08:51 PM
One warning: If you aren't beating the 3/6, it's more than likely you will not beat the 15/30.

Good luck! sam

08-18-2001, 07:14 AM
I wanted to point out that before move up in the limits make sure you have a big enough bankroll. You will still need to catch cards in 10-20, 15-30, and 20-40. I think the main difference in the players at the middle limits is the fact that there won't be as many wild aggressive types at one table. The toughest part about the 3-6 games is beating the rake.

Craig

08-20-2001, 07:38 PM
thanks for all your responses, it gives me plenty to think about.