PDA

View Full Version : Big ballin SB, but did I play it like a weenie?

young nut
11-09-2004, 06:11 PM
Not many reads on the table, just sat down bout 20 minutes beforehand. I had been running good though. The table seemed pretty fishy, calling raises to the river with low pair. The outcome of this hand in the end is great, but for some reason I feel like I played it too passively.

*btw...just read Ed's post about not folding with a decent draw or a decent hand in a big pot, and I think that is the mentality I had while playing this hand. Although it does seem like I played the hand a little weak.

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (9 handed)

Preflop: Hero is SB with A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif. MP3 posts a blind of $1.
UTG folds, <font color="CC3333">UTG+1 raises</font>, MP1 folds, MP2 calls, MP3 (poster) folds, CO folds, Button calls, Hero calls, BB calls.

Flop: (11 SB) J/images/graemlins/club.gif, 9/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, K/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(5 players)</font>
Hero checks, BB checks, UTG+1 calls $0.75 (All-In), MP2 calls, Button calls, Hero calls, BB calls.

Turn: (7.37 BB) 2/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(5 players, 1 all-in)</font>
Hero checks, BB checks, <font color="CC3333">MP2 bets</font>, Button calls, Hero calls, BB calls.

River: (11.37 BB) T/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(5 players, 1 all-in)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB calls, MP2 calls, Button folds.

Final Pot: 14.37 BB

siccjay
11-09-2004, 06:13 PM
I would have raised the flop and bet the turn.

jrz1972
11-09-2004, 06:29 PM
The flop and turn are fine. It's not really possible to clean up your ace outs, and you clearly have the right odds to chase on the flop, so that's no problem. Your turn call is razor-thin and relies on implied odds for justification, but it's fine as well. I would not have argued with a fold on the turn.

I would have gone for a check-raise on the river, but maybe that's a bad play. When you suddenly come to life, it basically telegraphs your straight. I would prefer to check and either hope somebody else has a Q or hope that MP1 wants to toss in a value bet.

jrz1972
11-09-2004, 06:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I would have raised the flop and bet the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

Can you explain why? He doesn't have anything and is out of position to get others to fold.

siccjay
11-09-2004, 07:08 PM
Oops my bad, I thought you flopped the straight. Disregard my post hahaha

young nut
11-09-2004, 07:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The flop and turn are fine. It's not really possible to clean up your ace outs, and you clearly have the right odds to chase on the flop, so that's no problem. Your turn call is razor-thin and relies on implied odds for justification, but it's fine as well. I would not have argued with a fold on the turn.

I would have gone for a check-raise on the river, but maybe that's a bad play. When you suddenly come to life, it basically telegraphs your straight. I would prefer to check and either hope somebody else has a Q or hope that MP1 wants to toss in a value bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, that was pretty much my exact thoughts on this hand.

I didn't want to go for the check raise on the river for 2 reasons: fear of getting checked through because of scare card, and if I check raised I would potentially only get 1 bet out of it instead of the 3 in the hand just calling it down. I was also hoping for someone with a smaller straight to raise me if someone hit it with a queen.