PDA

View Full Version : Playing the manaic - fun with reads!

kurto
11-09-2004, 05:17 PM
I just looked at a hand history and saw a good example of the power of reads. The villain was raising every other hand or so. He was taking lots of pots with bluffs. I thought he was playing too often. When some of his hands were revealed, they were all over the place- he was reraising all in with A-10 unsuited preflop, playing 10-6... anything. Here's two winning hands where I relied entirely on my read of him, as opposed to my hand.

First came this hand
PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.25 BB (9 handed)

saw flop|<font color="C00000">saw showdown</font>

<font color="C00000">Hero ($19.85)</font>
UTG+1 ($28.90)
<font color="C00000">MP1 <font color="purple">(the Maniac)</font> ($10.65)</font>
MP2 ($23.05)
MP3 ($12.15)
CO ($9.40)
Button ($11)
SB ($7.85)
BB ($4.95)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with T/images/graemlins/spade.gif, J/images/graemlins/spade.gif. CO posts a blind of $0.35.
Hero calls $0.25, <font color="666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="CC3333">MP1 <font color="purple">(the Maniac)</font> raises to $1.25</font>, <font color="666666">6 folds</font>, Hero calls $1.

This raise was standard for him and meant nothing. Suited connectors were worth a shot.

Flop: ($3.20) 7/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 9/images/graemlins/spade.gif, J/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="CC3333">the Maniac bets $0.5</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises to $2</font>, <font color="CC3333">the Maniac raises to $3.5</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises to $5</font>, the Maniac calls $1.50.

I knew he was going to bet if I didn't. I was also prepared for a reraise no matter what he had. I figured if he had pocket 2s, he was going to reraise me.

Turn: ($13.20) 3/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets $5.25</font>, the Maniac calls $4.40 (All-In).

River: ($22.85) 2/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(2 players, 1 all-in)</font>

Final Pot: $22.85
<font color="green">Main Pot: $22, between Hero and the Maniac.</font> &gt; <font color="white">Pot won by Hero ($22).</font>
<font color="green">Pot 2: $0.85, returned to Hero.</font>

Results in white below:
Hero has Ts Js (one pair, jacks).
the Maniac has As 8h (high card, ace).
Outcome: Hero wins $22.85. </font>

He loads up again and continues to play the same way.
A short while later... (Extra Fun... without looking, guess the maniac's hand based on the raise)
PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.25 BB (9 handed)

saw flop|<font color="C00000">saw showdown</font>

<font color="C00000">Hero ($12.35)</font>
SB ($6.85)
<font color="C00000">BB <font color="purple">(the Maniac)</font> ($22.65)</font>
UTG ($16.70)
UTG+1 ($8.65)
MP1 ($6.65)
MP2 ($16.90)
MP3 ($11.85)
CO ($22.70)

Preflop: Hero is Button with 6/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 7/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
<font color="666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls $0.25, <font color="666666">3 folds</font>, CO calls $0.25, Hero calls $0.25, <font color="666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="CC3333">BB <font color="purple">(the Maniac)</font> raises to $0.75</font>, UTG+1 calls $0.50, CO calls $0.50, Hero calls $0.50.

Again... the preflop raise means nothing. Anyone else's raise may have driven me out, but not from the maniac.

Flop: ($3.10) 4/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 3/images/graemlins/club.gif, 8/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">the Maniac bets $2</font>, UTG+1 folds, CO folds, Hero calls $2.

I have to admit, this is where I play foolish. I know he'll raise no matter what. And I only have an inside straight draw. But I know he's liable to have nothing. The whole table has been folding to his raises which he does every single hand. I (foolishly) call, but if I get anything on the turn, I'm going to the mat.

Turn: ($7.10) 5/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font> OH MY GOD! I've outmaniaced the maniac!!! The best part is I know that a possible straight won't slow him down.
<font color="CC3333">the Maniac bets $3</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises to $9.6</font>, the Maniac calls $6.60.

River: ($26.30) A/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>

Final Pot: $26.30
<font color="green">Main Pot: $26.30, between Hero and the Maniac.</font> &gt; <font color="white">Pot won by Hero ($26.30).</font>

Results in white below: <font color="white">
the Maniac has 8h Qs (one pair, eights).
Hero has 6s 7s (straight, eight high).
Outcome: Hero wins $26.30. </font>

Curious... would anyone else have stayed in for the second hand? Comments on play? I personally think I was lucky and stupid,... at the same time, if you know the maniac's going to bet no matter what, you can't give me all up, right?

srvollmer
11-09-2004, 05:22 PM
It's always fun to stack a maniac, well done. However, I like to play my gut-shots cheaply and only against big stacks where I know if I hit, I can get paid off. Therefore, I'll rarely play them against a maniac with a small stack. Your flop call was fine, considering the circumstances. But what do you do if you miss the turn? I'd strongly suggest getting out at that time.

kurto
11-09-2004, 05:41 PM
"However, I like to play my gut-shots cheaply and only against big stacks..." Understood. I try to always limp in with suited connectors. Though with the maniac raising every single hand, I figured if I wanted to play anything, you'd have to gamble. And since he usually raised it to around a $1, I just pretended it was a $1 table and played as if it was a limp.

With any other player at the table, I would have questioned my play in both hands, and certainly the second one.

"Your flop call was fine, considering the circumstances. But what do you do if you miss the turn?" I probably would have folded and cursed myself for both, calling his first bet and for letting him get away with his maniac act. lol

Second hand of mine was still dumb... but it felt good!

Benal
11-09-2004, 05:56 PM
It is my opinion that reads are crucial. Some would say reads are worthless online, but I disagree. I'd say that most of my profit comes from making good reads.

I'd prefer deeper stacks to attempt the plays you made, especially on hand 2.