PDA

View Full Version : bullets over broadway

dfscott
11-09-2004, 03:13 PM
CO is loose and passive, BB is loose and aggressive (and before you ask: no, I didn't get those two mixed up, despite what the betting implies).

Comments on all streets welcome.

Party Poker 0.5/1 Hold'em (10 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is UTG+2 with A/images/graemlins/heart.gif, A/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
<font color="666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="666666">3 folds</font>, CO calls, <font color="666666">1 fold</font>, SB calls, BB calls.

Flop: (8 SB) Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif, K/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 9/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">SB bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">BB raises</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">CO caps</font>, SB folds, BB calls, Hero calls.

Turn: (10.50 BB) J/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, Hero checks, <font color="CC3333">CO bets</font>, BB calls, Hero calls.

River: (13.50 BB) J/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, Hero checks, <font color="CC3333">CO bets</font>, BB calls, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 16.50 BB
<font color="green">Main Pot: 16.50 BB, between CO, BB and Hero.</font>

meep_42
11-09-2004, 03:17 PM
I think I bet this turn and call down from there.

Here's to hoping he had KQ, K9, or Q9 and your aces up were good.

-d

wyattjames4
11-09-2004, 03:42 PM
i think you have to give it up on the turn. your almost certainly beat when that jack hits. on the river when the second jack hits youre certainly beat by a straight or trips or even a full house. also i wouldnt have 3 bet the flop with a raise and reraise before you in a four handed contest. the possibility of a made straight, straight draw, and two pair at that point certainly meant you werent much of a favorite at that point if u werent already beat.

crockett
11-09-2004, 04:03 PM
I think the hand was played very well by Hero and I would play it the exact same way.

I believe your advice to be very tight-weak. You should definately 3-bet this flop. All they did was cold call they could have a ton of hands that you are ahead of.

Fold the turn!?!?!

1. Your getting 12.5:1 to hit your gut-shot making you the winner or splitter with no flush draw on the board.
2. 2 A's will make you the winner over 2 pair.
2. Any 9,J,Q,K falling will give you A's up forfeiting another two pair that doesn't give someone a boat.

You have a lot of draws to win this hand and 4 of them are the absolute nuts (with the possiblity of a split).

btspider
11-09-2004, 04:24 PM
the only outs i like here are the T's and those are to a possible split. when a loose-passive player cold-caps.. run for the hills.

i'd call down as well, but i think CO will have a set or JT here quite often. I also think BB is taking away many of our outs as well.

wyattjames4
11-09-2004, 04:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I think the hand was played very well by Hero and I would play it the exact same way.

I believe your advice to be very tight-weak. You should definately 3-bet this flop. All they did was cold call they could have a ton of hands that you are ahead of.

Fold the turn!?!?!

1. Your getting 12.5:1 to hit your gut-shot making you the winner or splitter with no flush draw on the board.
2. 2 A's will make you the winner over 2 pair.
2. Any 9,J,Q,K falling will give you A's up forfeiting another two pair that doesn't give someone a boat.

You have a lot of draws to win this hand and 4 of them are the absolute nuts (with the possiblity of a split).

[/ QUOTE ]

I dont think you have any draws to any wins on the turn. a ten would possibly split the pot and an ace would almost certianly have you beat. pairing any card on the board probably gives someone trips or a full house. note that every card on the board is likely to be held in someones hand. note that every card that improves your hand also improves someone else to tie or beat you. the way i see it is youre probably already beat, and the best your gonna do is a tie. plus remember there are two people in this pot so each time he calls its an overcall. what are the chances that both of the players in have neither a jack or a ten, or worse KJ, QJ, KT, or QT which would be limp in hands. certainly im a tight player, but im not weak. but i will admit the 3 bet on the flop isnt bad, and may even be a better play than a call, but not much imo.

kenberman
11-09-2004, 05:01 PM
I give this hand up on the turn. the flop cap tells me my Ace's are probably behind to at least 2 pair, or maybe an OESD or made straight. The turn jack, in that case, almost certainly helps any opponent more than me.

I would guess CO made a straight, or the runner-runner jacks made your aces-up good.

wyattjames4
11-09-2004, 06:15 PM
i thought about this some more on my lunch break. im fairly certain your odds calculations are wrong too. speaking from the turn on. you will still have to call at least one bet on the river so that cuts your odds in half. remember with two players in you arent even assured that you can just check call. what are you gonna do if you get stuck in the middle of a raise war with only two pair when theres a 4 straight on the board. also most of your draws lead to a probable tie so that cuts your odds. im fairly certain that this is an easy lay down.

dfscott
11-09-2004, 06:53 PM
This was a crazy hand. I felt that I might be ahead on the flop but likely beat on the turn. My thoughts were to get to showdown as cheaply as possible and I was prepared to fold to any raise.

CO showed: K/images/graemlins/spade.gif 7/images/graemlins/club.gif
BB showed: K/images/graemlins/club.gif 9/images/graemlins/diamond.gif

MHIG!

I was very confused by CO's play. Prior to this hand, she had never raised pre-flop and her aggression was non-existent. The post-hand chat lends a little insight:

CO: aarrrggghhh... u bugger
Me: thought for sure someone had a T
CO: knew u didnt when u checked on the fourth card
CO: nice win tho..
Me: thx
CO: k... im getting low on funds.. a sympathy win is in order ..
CO: oh.. this is mrs [name deleted] by the way.. incase i resort to flashing boobs or rubbing up the dealer..

I didn't really have a response for that one...looks like someone was just out to have a good time and felt like livening things up.

I posted this mainly just to give a concrete example of the saying: "don't fold for one bet in a big pot, even if you're almost sure you're beat." Apparently, this was my 1 time in 12 to win.

LowDown22
11-09-2004, 06:53 PM
I play it the same. CO looks to have you beat on the flop, but is it a set, straight, or 2 pair? When the J hits the turn I'm real scared of the straight, but I definitely call here. You have the nut straight draw, since you hold 2 of the Aces it reduces the chances that someone else has one. Getting 12.5-to-1 and closing the action, I call. I don't like the J pairing up on the river, but it counterfeits a possible two pair like KKQQ, and I'm closing the action again, so I call.