PDA

View Full Version : K6 suited

jah0550
11-09-2004, 02:55 PM
Before I get started, I think that I played this hand all wrong. But my question is not necessarily about this hand, but rather a general one.
Last night on PP, $20 NL/6 handed. Blinds are t50. Hero (1250) is on the button with K /images/graemlins/diamond.gif6 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif. Everyone folds to Hero. Hero raises to 150. (It was a semi-steal attempt) The SB(900) calls and the BB(770) calls.
Flop
9 /images/graemlins/heart.gif10 /images/graemlins/diamond.gifJ /images/graemlins/spade.gif
SB checks, BB checks, Hero checks
Turn
Q /images/graemlins/heart.gif
SB checks, BB checks, Hero bets 400. SB reraises all-in. BB folds. Hero calls.
Results:
SB had A /images/graemlins/spade.gifK /images/graemlins/spade.gif for an Ace high straight.
This is not a bad beat post, but rather should I have played this hand at all? If you have a hand like K6 suited on the button, should you try to take down the blinds? I run into this situation a lot of times and was just wondering when it is the right time to try and steal. The SB was LAG and the BB was weak-tight.

adanthar
11-09-2004, 02:58 PM
At this blind setting, I very rarely steal and when I do it's with something like JTs or maybe an ace that figures to be better than the 2 random hands they're holding.

This is at the 50's. At the 20's, they call more with less. Don't even bother until the blinds hit 100, especially as a big stack (since you want your raises to get more respect later.)

slickterp
11-09-2004, 04:53 PM
never should have called the all in. not a bad shot at the steal, and you get te check to hit your Q, bu then when he goes all in, you can't call. as soon as the Q hit on the turn i knew how that story ended. save some chips for another hand.

unfrgvn
11-09-2004, 05:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
never should have called the all in. not a bad shot at the steal, and you get te check to hit your Q, bu then when he goes all in, you can't call. as soon as the Q hit on the turn i knew how that story ended. save some chips for another hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

I knew how the story ended as well, but only because it was being posted here. I would have never put him on AK, I would have expected him to re-raise that all in pre flop. So that was either very clever or very timid. I'm surprised that you describe him as a LAG. To me AKs would just be another of many hands a LAG would push in this spot. Once you bet the 400, making the pot 850, I don't see how you fold to a 350 raise, assuming my pot and stack size calculations are right.

I guess maybe the real question is should you have taken the shot with Kxs. I think it's a play worth making at times, but you have to be wary about second best hands. I can't honestly say I would have been able to save my stack once the Q hit.

I tend to make my standard raise about 2.5 times the big blind. I think the effect is the same as the 3xBB raise and saves me chips if someone pushed big when I have a less than premium hand.

zephyr
11-09-2004, 05:16 PM
I think you played the hand fine after the flop. I'd probably just push on the turn when I hit the straight, but the result would be the same. Sorry slickterp, but I don't think anyone can read their opponent for AK here with enough certainty to dictate a fold.

As for your steal attempt, I think it's fine if you can play these types of hands well post-flop. This hand would typically hit the muck with me, though.

Only my opinion,

Zephyr