PDA

View Full Version : bet or check-raise - O/8

05-27-2002, 11:43 AM
I am dealt A4s-58 in the cutoff seat. 4 limpers to me and I limp as does the button. SB calls BB checks. 8 SBs in pot. Flop is 267 rainbow with one spade. checked to button who bets (has only bet with nut hands). 5 callers to me and I call. Turn K offsuit. checked to button who bets again - clearly she has A-3 nut low - all call. River is 4 giving me the nut straight and second nut low (probably not good). Is it correct to bet or go for the check-raise.

05-27-2002, 01:17 PM
iblucky4u2 - Button has been betting all the way, button will almost surely bet the river.

Go for the check-raise.

Buzz

05-27-2002, 01:39 PM
Go for the checkraise. It is far more likely, IMO, that she is the one running the risk of being quartered on this hand rather than you (although it happens often enough on the high side).

Consider whether or not she is being quartered on the hand (who else is calling besides you...could they be going low?). If you think she will 3-bet and the other A3 will call to get his/her piece, then you can come over the top on what will be a big pot for you. Otherwise her reraise may shut out some who won't cold call 2 more bets with only an A5xx going low.

If she won't reraise because she is cautious about being quartered, then you won't have to worry about a 3-bet shutting people out.

One other benefit to trying a checkraise:

If you have any reason to suspect she may be taking 3/4, when you attempt a checkraise, you may find that her river bet knocks out those calling with hands like 98xx who have missed and won't call at all. So if she bets and all in between drop, you can just call her down.

05-29-2002, 10:35 AM
Thans for the input. In fact, I did go for the check-raise and .... the button checks with the nut low /images/frown.gif - I almost fell off my chair.

When I showed my nut straight, two people said to me "I just bet my hands whenever I get them" and basically told me I didn't know how to play this game.

I just shook my head and went on to a nice win by the end of the night.