PDA

View Full Version : 10 Week Challenge : Week 2

GuyOnTilt
11-09-2004, 11:57 AM
Hey guys,

Well, the last seven days were somewhat of a disaster as far as my personal challenge thing goes. I took the first day off, worked decent hours the next two, and on the fourth day my DSL went down. I spent an hour or so trying to fix it myself, but it became kind of obvious that my very limited knowledge of computers and their inner workings weren't going to cut it. So I spent about an hour on the phone with a Verizon tech guy trying to fix it, but it didn't happen. He came to the conclusion that the error was on their end and that they're working on it and would give me a call back within 24-48 hours. Surpsie, surprise! I still haven't heard back from them and plan on giving them a ring later today. So in the meantime I've been reduced to trying to put in some hours on a wireless signal I'm picking up from one of my neighbors, but it gets very laggy at times and impossible to play.

So since it didn't look like I was going to be able to log my hours online this week, I headed down to the Commerce in hopes of playing some quality hours there. I get seated in a 40 game that's short at the moment. As I was waiting for my blind to come around, it was pretty apparent that this was a primo game. The guy on my right was obviously on tilt, as he was seeing every flop. He appeared to be in the stuck-and-tired kind of tilt, where he just calls and cold-calls and calls some more, only to fold on the turn or river every single hand. The other guys at the table were your standard "play my cards" type of guys who will open-limp in the CO with QTs because QTs falls in their "see the flop cheaply" category of hands, along with 77-22, Axs, and suited connectors or 1-gappers. You know the type. Anyway, there was only one other decent player at the table, and he was on my immediate left, so things looked good!

Half an hour later and I'd played only one pot, but had won it, so I was up about 2 stacks. As I'm folding my big blind to a CO open-raise, I get a tap on my shoulder and turn around to see a floorman asking to see my ID. /images/graemlins/frown.gif I told him I forgot it at home, I play here all the time (which a couple players at the table attested to as well), and that making me pick up will probably break this game, but he insisted on me racking up, which I understand after he's asked and I've been unable to provide ID. I just don't understand why he'd come over and card me in the first place, but whatev. Apparently (from what he told me after we talked a bit later), it's a new policy that they're carding on the floor now, so basically I'm screwed and have to go get a fake now for the remaining 6'ish months I'm still underage. Heh. I almost made it! /images/graemlins/smile.gif

So my week in review can basically be divided up into two categories:

Bad news:

-I only logged 14.5 hours.
-I am high-speed-internet-less.
-I am no longer able to play at the Commerce.
-I lost 4 straight Scrabble matches to my roomate.

Good news:

-I only spent $492.
-My OSU Cowboys are looking very good for a solid season this year.
-I won 4 straight Scrabble matches against my roommate.

My vital stats this week ended up being $2,960.00 earned in 14.5 hours with $492 spent.

Totals through Week 2:

Hours logged : 43.35, extrapolated 216.75
Money spent : $1,142.00, extrapolated $5,710.00
Money earned : $14,344.07, extrapolated $71,720.35

GoT

bicyclekick
11-09-2004, 12:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Good news:
-I only spent $492.

[/ QUOTE ]

ONLY. Hah. 500 spent in one week is still a decent amount man. You live one expensive life....why?

Sponger15SB
11-09-2004, 12:33 PM
Probably because he can.

kenberman
11-09-2004, 12:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
-I only spent $492.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just an accounting question: what qualifies as 'money spent'? Food? Gas? Rent/Mortgage? Insurance?

Tough week man sorry to hear about DSL troubles.
Ken

GuyOnTilt
11-09-2004, 12:43 PM
Just an accounting question: what qualifies as 'money spent'? Food? Gas? Rent/Mortgage? Insurance?

All of the above and other necessities like clothes, cable, cell phone, gas/electric, etc.

GoT

kenberman
11-09-2004, 12:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Just an accounting question: what qualifies as 'money spent'? Food? Gas? Rent/Mortgage? Insurance ?

All of the above and other necessities like clothes, cable, cell phone, gas/electric, etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

My comment is probably dreadfully boring, but you may want to amortize your monthly (or yearly) costs over each week. This will smooth out your weekly expenses #, and give you a better picture from week to week how you are doing as far as controlling your expenses. Otherwise there will be a lot of noise in those numbers.

slavic
11-09-2004, 12:51 PM
-My OSU Cowboys are looking very good for a solid season this year.

Darn I missed a bet this week. Les Miles has done a heck of a job up there unfortunatly he's in the toughest division in football.

BTW - take your laptop down to Starbucks, pay for a days access and play. I find my costs go up slightly (mostly mochas) but it gets the job done when Verison decides to screw you over.

bicyclekick
11-09-2004, 01:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Probably because he can.

[/ QUOTE ]

So can I? It's still frivelous.

ChicagoTroy
11-09-2004, 01:56 PM
I don't know where you live, but assuming it's a reasonably urban area, buy a USB wireless network card. Plug it in and you'll probably be able to piggy back on somebody's unsecured wireless networ. Perfect for when DSL goes out.

Sponger15SB
11-09-2004, 02:22 PM
ok fine....

The things he buys makes him happy.

If you can't tell, I think your question was reasonably silly.

bicyclekick
11-09-2004, 02:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
ok fine....

The things he buys makes him happy.

If you can't tell, I think your question was reasonably silly.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're probably right. I woke up this morning with 4 hours of sleep and crabby. I just thought it's frivelous how much he spends, not that it's any of my business or I should really even care.

astroglide
11-09-2004, 02:32 PM
he made it your business by telling you about it in a public forum. if he hadn't, you wouldn't know about it or have an opinion on it. he must want you to have an opinion.

bernie
11-09-2004, 05:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
My vital stats this week ended up being $2,960.00 earned in 14.5 hours with $492 spent.

Totals through Week 2:

Hours logged : 43.35, extrapolated 216.75
Money spent : $1,142.00, extrapolated $5,710.00
Money earned : $14,344.07, extrapolated $71,720.35

[/ QUOTE ]

Why not add a line for money invested?

b

Yobz
11-10-2004, 04:26 AM
[ QUOTE ]
open-limp in the CO with QTs because QTs falls in their "see the flop cheaply" category of hands, along with 77-22, Axs, and suited connectors or 1-gappers. You know the type.

[/ QUOTE ]

Please all but ignore me since I am of the lowly micro/small limit breed, but according to SSH you should limp with these hands? is it because they were open-limping in the CO or because they were limping?
I wanna be a good player some day, anyone have any advice on this /images/graemlins/smile.gif

scrub
11-10-2004, 04:32 AM
[ QUOTE ]
frivelous

[/ QUOTE ]

This is hurting my eyes. Please stop.

scrub

bicyclekick
11-10-2004, 04:37 AM
k sorry skrub. ;P

I spell bad. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

thirddan
11-10-2004, 04:49 AM
first in from the CO this should be an easy raise preflop...

Alobar
11-10-2004, 05:10 AM
open limping anything in the CO is dumb.

sublime
11-10-2004, 05:35 AM
open limping anything in the CO is dumb.

good explanation. im sure he is having a hard time processing all that info

sublime
11-10-2004, 05:40 AM
yobz-

when its folded to you in late position (i even do it in EP) if you are going to play you are MUCH better off raising. it gives you another way to win (picking up the blinds) and you will also pick up pots on the flop when the callers whiff.

GuyOnTilt
11-10-2004, 05:45 AM
ONLY. Hah. 500 spent in one week is still a decent amount man. You live one expensive life....why?

I realize it's recently become the trendy thing to do, but trying to rip on me for living on $2k/month in Southern California and somehow thinking that's "frivolous" is just plain stupid.

GoT

GuyOnTilt
11-10-2004, 05:47 AM
Why not add a line for money invested?

I already know where the vast majority of this money is going to go. Taxes are fun! /images/graemlins/smile.gif

GoT

sublime
11-10-2004, 05:47 AM
I realize it's recently become the trendy thing to do, but trying to rip on me for living on $2k/month in Southern California and somehow thinking that's "frivolous" is just plain stupid

GoT, you effing suck.

sorry, i want to "feel part of"

IMO $500 a week for basic expenditures is not all that much.

Chris Daddy Cool
11-10-2004, 09:41 AM
[ QUOTE ]

I realize it's recently become the trendy thing to do, but trying to rip on me for living on $2k/month in Southern California and somehow thinking that's "frivolous" is just plain stupid.

GoT

[/ QUOTE ]

i don't make nearly as much as GoT, but I spend my money like none other, which is a good reason why I have trouble maintaing br and why it took me so long to move up and stay in limits.

2k a month in so cal is not that much.

sthief09
11-10-2004, 10:22 AM
damn ivy leaguers /images/graemlins/wink.gif

TimM
11-10-2004, 11:57 AM
[ QUOTE ]
2k a month in so cal is not that much.

[/ QUOTE ]

Heh, I was trying to figure my monthly nut the other day, so I just took some averages out of Quicken. These are only recurring expenses, and some are padded a little, but it shouldn't be by more than about 10%. Maybe I need to do a quest.

Single guy on Long Island, who sucks at not spending:

<font class="small">Code:</font><hr /><pre>
Rent $1,050.00
Car $583.33
Food $625.00
Internet $75.00
Insurance $183.33
Medical/Dental $83.33
Household $83.33
Telephone $83.33
Cable TV $75.00
Utilities $75.00
Other $300.00
-------
$3216.67
</pre><hr />

kenberman
11-10-2004, 12:00 PM
almost identical to someone I know /images/graemlins/wink.gif

sfer
11-10-2004, 12:11 PM
Anyone who thinks SoCal is expensive is totally nuts. After the dot.com crash a friend of mine moved from San Francisco to LA, and for 3 weeks told me about how cheap the apartments were. Then I moved to New York and found out what a high cost of living really means.

IndieMatty
11-10-2004, 12:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Please tell me this is not you: SLIG (http://www.singlelongislandguy.com)

On a side note, I live in Manhattan, and I can't walk out the door without spending a hundred bucks. 2K a month would be wonderful.

MicroBob
11-10-2004, 12:42 PM
I agree that just because your DSL is out doesn't mean you have to be internet-less.

Starbucks is one option.
There are many othe coffee-places with FREE wi-fi (jiwire.com lists SOME of them....but there are many that aren't listed).

Also - is dial-up an option at your place. I play on dial-up all the time at home and it works fine and dandy. I recommend dial-up over laggy, far-away wireless ANY TIME.

TimM
11-10-2004, 01:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Hahahahahah.

No, thankfully. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

IndieMatty
11-10-2004, 02:00 PM
Everyone should check out this guys site. What a horrible person.

Nice Bowflex though.

BeerMoney
11-10-2004, 02:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I spent an hour or so trying to fix it myself, but it became kind of obvious that my very limited knowledge of computers and their inner workings weren't going to cut it. GoT

[/ QUOTE ]

Aren't you Asian?

nolanfan34
11-10-2004, 03:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I spent an hour or so trying to fix it myself, but it became kind of obvious that my very limited knowledge of computers and their inner workings weren't going to cut it. GoT

[/ QUOTE ]

Aren't you Asian?

[/ QUOTE ]

"When you look at the Asians, the Asian is very gifted in creation, creativity and inventions. If you go to Japan or any Asian country, they can turn a television into a watch. They're very creative." - Reggie White

BeerMoney
11-10-2004, 04:00 PM
Nolan , just so I don't get a barrage of replies calling me a racist, I am making fun of the stereotype, not asians..

mplspoker
11-10-2004, 04:15 PM
FYI - $500 is not a lot to spend in a week. It's all relative. If you eat out nearly every meal and go to the bars 3 nights a week you easily will spend 500 - say nothing about clothes and other stuff.

snowbank
11-10-2004, 04:19 PM
Just curious if you have looked into a financial planner, and if you are putting this money towards investments that will generate you extra income?

Blarg
11-10-2004, 04:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
FYI - $500 is not a lot to spend in a week. It's all relative. If you eat out nearly every meal and go to the bars 3 nights a week you easily will spend 500 - say nothing about clothes and other stuff.

[/ QUOTE ]

Eating out every meal and going to bars three nights a week is spending a lot almost by definition. And buying clothes every week, or very often at all, means throwing away a lot of money very quickly.

Cool if you can afford it, nothing wrong with enjoying your money. But in no way is spending money like that not spending a lot.

When GoT says he's including rent and things like that in his $500/week, it's different. It didn't sound like he was saying that at all at first, though, and I still wonder if he really means that even though he said he did.

GuyOnTilt
11-10-2004, 05:02 PM
and I still wonder if he really means that even though he said he did.

Um, okay. If you don't want to believe the numbers I'm giving then I guess you don't have to. You're basically calling me a liar though I guess, right?

FWIW, I had my cell bill, truck payment, and insurance due this week, which together totalled $385.

GoT

bicyclekick
11-10-2004, 05:24 PM
Now that you throw in that you're including all bills like you cell, truck, toher utilities, and I don't know so cal, but I imagine it's more expensive to live there, 500 is not a lot, you are correct.

To me, when I read 500, I took it to mean you went out and just spent 500 on random things and entertainment, which seems like a lot, but then again I've been brought up in an overly thrify middle class family from minnesota.

Different perspectives on life.

But then again I misunderstood what was making up that 500...

Oh, and yes, i was trying to jump on the bandwagon of making fun of you. Give me a break. Didn't you see your last journal where i was more or less defending you?

alekhine8
11-10-2004, 08:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
FWIW, I had my cell bill, truck payment, and insurance due this week, which together totalled $385.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wouldn't it be a lot more informative to make a list or budget of your normal monthly expenses and track what you spend outside of that? I am sorry if 500 people have pointed this out - I don't get upset when I pay my mortgage or the car payment. It's the TiVo purchase or other stuff that kills you.

skunkworks
11-10-2004, 09:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]

I am making fun of the stereotype, not asians..

[/ QUOTE ]

Is there a difference between the two?

Schneids
11-10-2004, 09:53 PM
Hey Bright,

The Dude told me about the time when you forgot to pay for some basic utilities. Hopefully that isn't the real cause of your net going down. /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Regards,
Mike

Sponger15SB
11-10-2004, 10:16 PM
Got- did you and the dude know eachother pre 2+2 or did you guys just kinda join up since you both wanted to live in LA and play poker

Topflight
11-10-2004, 10:33 PM
GoT seems to be spending far less than he should be. He makes enough money to have at least a LITTLE fun, come on!

Why do you want to see him live like he only makes 25k a year? I know he spent some dough in the past, but it seems like there should be a happy median, he shouldn't live like a beggar.

nolanfan34
11-11-2004, 12:47 AM
[ QUOTE ]

Nolan , just so I don't get a barrage of replies calling me a racist, I am making fun of the stereotype, not asians..

[/ QUOTE ]

No, I hear ya. Just reminded me of that classic Reggie White quote is all, I was also mocking the stereotype.

DBowling
11-11-2004, 01:29 AM
[ QUOTE ]
As I'm folding my big blind to a CO open-raise, I get a tap on my shoulder and turn around to see a floorman asking to see my ID. /images/graemlins/frown.gif I told him I forgot it at home, I play here all the time (which a couple players at the table attested to as well), and that making me pick up will probably break this game, but he insisted on me racking up, which I understand after he's asked and I've been unable to provide ID. I just don't understand why he'd come over and card me in the first place, but whatev. Apparently (from what he told me after we talked a bit later), it's a new policy that they're carding on the floor now, so basically I'm screwed and have to go get a fake now for the remaining 6'ish months I'm still underage. Heh. I almost made it! /images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow that really sucks. Which floorman was it? Serge is always really cool, but i havet been there in almost a month. Im planning on going this weekend, but im only 20. I look like im in my mid 20s though. Beard and all. Do you look especially young?
Good luck with the rest of your quest man, i hope your dsl gets back up soon

Losing all
11-11-2004, 04:16 AM
Did you read his pre-quest introduction? I'm pretty sure he said he had spent 30-40 large in the last 2 months. It's a problem, and he knows it. that's why it's part of his quest.

Yobz
11-12-2004, 01:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

On a side note, I live in Manhattan, and I can't walk out the door without spending a hundred bucks. 2K a month would be wonderful.

[/ QUOTE ]

My parents used to live in Manhattan but moved out because it was so damn expensive. They now live 15 minutes outside the city in NJ and consider their living expenses minimal even though the property tax alone is close to 1500 a month. 1500!! 2k a month for everything is pretty good, although it is all relative. if you can find a way to spend 2k a month on "necessities" in the middle of kansas then you are doing something wrong