PDA

View Full Version : Don't Ignore Obvious Tells!!!

05-26-2002, 12:54 PM
Same home game as below, $25-50 (no $100 on river). Variation of 08, however you are dealt 5 cards and can play hand or 2 from hand/3board like Omaha. (can also combo for hilo).

I have 5 high cards, and bet $10. Player to my left, sorta fishy weak/tight is on the phone. He looks at cards and says "Can I play my hand?" in an semi excited way. (BTW, we also play a version of Omaha where you're dealt 5 cards, but can only play 2. People usually ask this question). Now, had he not been on the phone, I wouldn't have made much of it, but usually it takes quite a hand for someone to get distracted from a phone call.

He (FP) calls.

Cutoff, a solid aggressive player, raises $25. At this point I consider mucking, cause I figure one of them has a made low and I'm only playing for 1/2 the pot. But I feel like playing so I call.

FP calls as do two others. Five way.

Flop J-Q-K rainbow. I flop top two pair, but no straight draw.

I check, FP bets $25, cutoff calls, I figure for $25 I'll see one. (I complete betting too) I put FP on made low.

Three players.

Turn: 4 (rainbow board)

I check, FP bets $50, cutoff calls. Since I'm finishing the betting again, I decide to call.

River: K, making board J-Q-K-4-K. I have the nut high.

I bet $50, FP raises, cutoff reraises. At this point, I think I may be splitting, but there is also the possibility that they both have lows or one has a lower full house. I cap. Both call.

FP turns over A-6-6-6-6 in his hand. Cutoff had and 8 low.

Ouch.

Tim

05-26-2002, 03:03 PM
You have been nicely set up to execute a phone bluff. Wait a couple of weeks. In the mean time go to the nearest super-duper-market, head to the toy aisle, and buy a $1.98 toy cell phone. Sometimes you can find them packaged with a toy beeper, which is really cool.

When you see a nice pot developing in a good situation, pull the phone out of you pocket and start talking. When the flop comes down, say, "Oh my God, I'll call you right back!" and hang up. Bet until they wilt. After dragging the pot, hand the phone to another player and say, a la Judy Tenuta, "It's for you."