PDA

View Full Version : Playing on Party during Peak hours

TheDelChop
11-09-2004, 11:15 AM
After what seems to be yet another losing session during on Party during what I would call their peak operational hours (5:00 P.M. - 12:00 A.M.EST or roughly 5-9 for both coasts) I was wondering if any other pros avoid playing at these times, at least maybe in the lower stakes ($3/$6 or so). My stats don't change, but i find myself being constanly sucked out on, especially with big pairs. I just feel like your St. Dev must go increase dramatically when you play against such a large number of L-A players. For example, if you are playing AA against four players, one with a four flush, one with a gutshot, one with top pair, and one with another wired pair, your AA will only win 38% of the time. This is what I have found to be happening lately, getting dealt big pairs in these games and then having them be sucked out on the river. So, if I have the ability to choose to play at other times, is that recommended? Or are there adjustments I should be making to my game to take advantage of what I would think theoretically would be a great situation (A bunch of dead money waiting to be picked up!).

Bluffoon
11-09-2004, 11:22 AM
The thing is you are just as often against one player chasing with top pair and two more drawing very thin or dead and willing to bet into you and call your raises all the way when you make a pat hand. Despite the increase in standard deviation you are in a favorable situation.

If you want to decrease your standard deviation a little, stay out of the wilder games with the largest average pots. I find that a 3/6 game with about a $45 average pot will be plenty soft without that uber-laggy play that increases your swings.

stoxtrader
11-09-2004, 11:33 AM
[ QUOTE ]
After what seems to be yet another losing session during on Party during what I would call their peak operational hours (5:00 P.M. - 12:00 A.M.EST or roughly 5-9 for both coasts) I was wondering if any other pros avoid playing at these times, at least maybe in the lower stakes ($3/$6 or so). My stats don't change, but i find myself being constanly sucked out on, especially with big pairs. I just feel like your St. Dev must go increase dramatically when you play against such a large number of L-A players. For example, if you are playing AA against four players, one with a four flush, one with a gutshot, one with top pair, and one with another wired pair, your AA will only win 38% of the time. This is what I have found to be happening lately, getting dealt big pairs in these games and then having them be sucked out on the river. So, if I have the ability to choose to play at other times, is that recommended? Or are there adjustments I should be making to my game to take advantage of what I would think theoretically would be a great situation (A bunch of dead money waiting to be picked up!).

[/ QUOTE ]

are you sure you're a "pro"?

sfer
11-09-2004, 11:49 AM
[ QUOTE ]
For example, if you are playing AA against four players, one with a four flush, one with a gutshot, one with top pair, and one with another wired pair, your AA will only win 38% of the time.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why is winning 38% and getting 4 to 1 on your money a bad thing?

bicyclekick
11-09-2004, 11:51 AM
I like those times better because loose play like this generally means a higher winrate for me.

Don't you seek out this kind of play?

DrunkNHigh
11-09-2004, 01:57 PM
I just had big loss session on friday and saturday night from 2 am - 5 am, losing 100BB playing 15/30 on partypoker. I wouldn't recommend playing those hours unless your bankroll can cover the ups and downs u will experience.

TheDelChop
11-09-2004, 04:46 PM
Ok, i suppose I am not a true pro, I do not entirely support myself playing poker, just take it very seriously. Does anyone have any recommendations about playing in these games? Any strategy advice vs. all these LAG players?

MicroBob
11-09-2004, 04:59 PM
read SSHE by Ed Miller.

The laggier the better.

ResidentParanoid
11-09-2004, 05:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Does anyone have any recommendations about playing in these games?

[/ QUOTE ]

1. Get bankroll
2. Play smart hands and situations
3. Make a hand or a draw
4. Bet and raise

These are more than enough at the looser tables that you are complaining about.

Yobz
11-10-2004, 04:44 AM
Imagine the extreme situation:
You are dealt AA every hand for 5 hours straight. Every single one of your opponents caps every street.
You are playing against 9 people and have a fairly small chance of winning the total pot, so should you never play this game?
No!! You always want to play this game, you have a 30% pot equity!
Ram and jam it every street every game and as long as your bankroll is decently sized, you should be way up after a long enough time of playing.

The looser and crazier the opponents, the more money you make!

rdu $teve
11-10-2004, 11:44 AM
Find ways to make drawing hands unprofitable to call. SSH gets into this in the post-flop chapters, discussing ways to protect your hand by giving drawing hands bad pot odds. Various tools are included: check-raising, checking the flop to keep the pot small until the turn, re-raising out of position. The ideas get kinda complex, and are best read in the book.

MicroBob
11-10-2004, 12:01 PM
The ideas get kinda complex, and are best read in the book.......

AND analyzed in the ML and SS forums. Post your hands where you weren't sure whether you could/should have gone for a raise or check-raise, etc etc.
MUCH to be learned. and many hands that you play are not nearly as simple (to play ideally) as they appear.