PDA

View Full Version : Book about reading hands, suggestions.

Erik W
11-09-2004, 10:15 AM
Hi all!
I have searched for a good book that have a "huge" section about reading hands. Limit play.
Anyone have any suggestions?

A link to a good www that covers it would also be great.
thx,
E

CurryLover
11-09-2004, 10:30 AM
Real Poker II: The play of hands, Roy Cooke

It doesn't have a section on reading hands as such. The book is a collection of Cooke's best articles from Card Player magazine. In each one he analyses a hand he played and the thought processes involved. There is a huge amount of discussion about reading hands in these articles, as well as all the other factors he considered during each deal. If you haven't read this book then you MUST get it. It is utterly superb.

pokercode
11-09-2004, 03:08 PM
First post ever!

Quick question regarding the book mentioned above - are his examples while playing Holdem and is it Limit or No Limit. I'm sure a lot of his examples carry across but I was just curious. I'm trying to concentrate on my NL game and I'm looking for a book that discusses individual hands w/ analysis. -- thanks

CurryLover
11-09-2004, 03:22 PM
The book is strictly about Limit Hold'em.

That said, I'm mainly a PL/NL player and I still found it brilliant. What you'll love about it is the way Cooke explains all the different factors he takes into account when making a decision and then marries these factors together to make the best, most rational choice. This sort of thinking is valid for PL/NL too. It a book about thought processes in poker, rather than a technical 'how to' book, so it doesn't matter that it is limit based.

_And1_
11-09-2004, 04:30 PM
Middle limit holdem poker by ciaffone would also be a good buy...

pastabatman
11-09-2004, 08:03 PM
The Real Poker books appear to be out of print.

Lost Wages
11-09-2004, 09:15 PM
Linkypoo. (https://secure.cardplayer.com/shop/product_info.php?cPath=21&products_id=94&osCsid=2b 7a364ed9ef0f1ac2831ef7b8f8e00a)

Lost Wages

JohnG
11-10-2004, 12:39 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm trying to concentrate on my NL game and I'm looking for a book that discusses individual hands w/ analysis. -- thanks

[/ QUOTE ]

Ciaffone's no limit holdem book will do this. It should be available soon.

froggy527
11-10-2004, 06:49 AM
Go to Card players website and look in the archives
and you will find Roy Cooke's articles. Plus
many more hours of reading.

jeffnc
11-10-2004, 08:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Linkypoo. (https://secure.cardplayer.com/shop/product_info.php?cPath=21&products_id=94&osCsid=2b 7a364ed9ef0f1ac2831ef7b8f8e00a)

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for the link. Ripoff alert! I ordered the book from Card Player. During checkout, they entice you to buy a second book by promising you that by adding a second item, you will get a $20 bonus to BOTH Pacific Poker and Ultimate Bet (emphasis theirs.) I figured - $40 kickback - why not? Turns out they will not honor the Pacific Poker bonus, so I more or less wasted that second book purchase on something I didn't really need (cost me $30 for a $20 bonus, which I haven't received yet.)