PDA

View Full Version : Did I Play This Straight Too Fast?

gaming_mouse
11-09-2004, 06:07 AM
Pacific Poker 2/4 Loose, Somewhat Aggressive

Hero MP3 K/images/graemlins/heart.gif J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif (10 handed)

UTG calls, 3 folds, Hero calls, LP calls, CO folds, Button folds, SB completes, BB checks

Flop: 6/images/graemlins/spade.gif 10/images/graemlins/club.gif A/images/graemlins/club.gif

Checked around.

Turn: Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif

2 checks, UTG bets, Hero raises (scared by the flush draws), only UTG calls.

River: 10/images/graemlins/diamond.gif

UTG checks, Hero bets, UTG calls.

Should I have called the turn instead of raising it to get some overcallers and some more value on my straight, or was I right to protect my hand? I like the idea of making flush draws pay an incorrect price for chasing, which they probably will. On the other hand, I don't think I'm getting rid of any flush draws, but I will be getting rid of some pairs who are drawing dead and might pay me off here as well as on the river.

Thoughts?

Shillx
11-09-2004, 06:17 AM
Calling the turn is a sucker play IMO. If you knew that everyone else just had pairs then you could call. If you call here, everyone might fold anyway. People with 2 pairs and flush draws will not go away (it is unlikely anyone has a pair of aces), so you need to get the money in now with the best of it. I really like your line.

The Shill

helpmeout
11-09-2004, 06:28 AM
Whats wrong with calling the turn?

Flush draws probably wont fold, a raise knocks out trash like a pair of 10s, Qx, gutshots, these hands would usually come along for the ride for 1 bet.

The pot is small, why protect it?

I'd risk having overcalls to bump the pot. You might share on the river if a K or J fall or lose to a spade flush, I'm not scared of a club (Laggish table someone would bet a flush draw).

Shillx
11-09-2004, 06:34 AM
[ QUOTE ]
a raise knocks out trash like a pair of 10s, Qx, gutshots, these hands would usually come along for the ride for 1 bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not so sure these hands are out there. If the hero calls here I really don't see the blinds calling. Maybe he gets one overcall.

SCfuji
11-09-2004, 06:38 AM
pretty standard. good hand. is this not worth a raise from MP3 or does the UTG open limp ruin this for hero?