PDA

View Full Version : Origin of PokerNOW

anstisa
11-09-2004, 05:51 AM
I am a resident and citizen of the European Union. Because of that I don't need to pay taxes on gambling wins from Great Britain. Does anyone know if PokerNOW is considered a British company when considering this?

I found this text on their page:
27. Governing Law.
This Agreement shall be governed by and construed in accordance with the laws of the British Virgin Islands without giving effect to conflicts of law principles. The parties submit to the exclusive jurisdiction of the British Virgin Islands for the settlement of any disputes arising out of concerning this Agreement. /.../

Rudbaeck
11-09-2004, 06:07 AM
The European Union doesn't have tax treaties with any of the British colonies, so if the company is owned in the British Virgin Islands you are out of luck.

Depending on which country you live in it will vary somewhat. Here in Sweden the question is where the company operating the room is located, not where servers are or where the license is. (This is good as there are plenty of poker rooms owned and traded in GB proper, even though they run their servers and licenses offshore.)

raccon
11-09-2004, 06:09 AM
I'm not sure about PokerNOW, but Eurobet is definitely a british company, so there will be no tax obligations for EU-citizen.

Beck
11-09-2004, 07:09 AM
Are you sure, it is important which country in EU you live in?
I havn't studied the Lindman case (my earnings aint that big yet), but as far as I know, it is the matter of EU citizen ship that is important, but I may be wrong?

daveymck
11-09-2004, 09:00 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm not sure about PokerNOW, but Eurobet is definitely a british company, so there will be no tax obligations for EU-citizen.

[/ QUOTE ]

Eurobet is but most UK companies gambling elements are out in Gibralter so I wouldnt know how that works for an EU person.

I dont know what country you are in but in the UK we dont have to pay tax on any gambling income wherever you earn it.

daveymck
11-09-2004, 09:16 AM
[ QUOTE ]
The European Union doesn't have tax treaties with any of the British colonies, so if the company is owned in the British Virgin Islands you are out of luck.

Depending on which country you live in it will vary somewhat. Here in Sweden the question is where the company operating the room is located, not where servers are or where the license is. (This is good as there are plenty of poker rooms owned and traded in GB proper, even though they run their servers and licenses offshore.)

[/ QUOTE ]

That must be why so many swede play on Ladbrokes thne and 24hr skins.