PDA

View Full Version : Omaha Hi low 8

05-14-2002, 04:55 AM
The other day i saw a hand in a 10-20 omaha hi low 8 game. 3 People limp and (a well known live and tournament player in the world who has won many omaha hi low events) raises.

Everyone calls around to MP who limp reraises and everyone calls to our world class player who caps 5 people in for 4 bets each.

Flop AhQh2c with two hearts, checked to hero who bets three people drop and two call.

Turn 6 diamond, first person bets, second person calls. Hero raises again (what could he have??)

Anyway River is a 2 pairing the board.

First person again bets, second person calls, hero raises, both players call.

HERO has 7dJdAdAc for aces full of 2's

first person better has 526x for low.

Please if any one could help expalin the action of this world class player i would greatly appreciate it. What could he be thinking. I know many people who might even dump that hand preflop, this player always talks about playing tight but everytime i watch him play he is always in there with weird hands A4xx, A6xx etc...

Am i missing something??

-MJ

05-15-2002, 04:04 AM
MJ - Thanks for the post.

“Am i missing something??”

Perhaps you’re focusing too much on the cards held by WCP and not enough on (1) the interaction between WCP and other players, and (2) WCP’s anticipation of the other player's reactions to the betting.

As an aside, when I read “(what could he have??),” I immediately said out loud “a pair or aces.” Before the flop it’s pretty hard to know specifically, (except that WCP probably has a +e.v. hand), but the betting by WCP after the flop, IMHO, clearly represents a pair of aces. No guarantee WCP has what is being represented, but that’s what the betting represents, IMHO. (I don't know if your question was sarcastic, as in "duh," or represented genuine puzzlement).

Let’s briefly focus on the hand. Would you play it in a ring game? I would. And I find no fault with the betting. While 7dJdAdAc hardly seems a hand to write home about, IMHO it is very playable in a ring game. There are two strong possibilities for the way WCP bet the hand. (1) Perhaps WCP decided the only way to play (rather than fold) the hand was as you have described the betting. (2) Perhaps WCP played the hand in such a way as to not only increase profit from this particular hand but also increase profit from other hands yet to come.

Anyway, thanks for the post.

Buzz

05-18-2002, 03:49 AM
2cents:

Different strokes for different folks.

Got a hunch -- bet a bunch.

You have to double up if you wana catch up.

Maybe the guy is a Gypsy and knows what's gona flop.

You play poker long enough and think you have seen everything, but then you find out you haven't.