PDA

View Full Version : Axs, and the flop comes A-y-y

maryfield48
11-09-2004, 12:24 AM
Party Poker 0.5/1 Hold'em (9 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with A/images/graemlins/club.gif, 4/images/graemlins/club.gif.
<font color="666666">2 folds</font>, MP1 <font color="purple">(LA-P)</font> calls, Hero calls, MP3 <font color="purple">(LAG)</font> calls, <font color="666666">2 folds</font>, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: (5 SB) A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 6/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 6/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, LA-P checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">LAG raises</font>, SB folds, BB folds, LA-P calls, Hero calls.

So I figured LAG for an A, and knew I was likely outkicked, but also figured he was also likely to not have a strong kicker, so he could easily be counterfeited. Which would result in a split pot.

Turn: (5.50 BB) 2/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
LA-P checks, Hero checks, <font color="CC3333">LAG bets</font>, LA-P calls, Hero calls.

River: (8.50 BB) Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
LA-P checks, Hero checks, <font color="CC3333">LAG bets</font>, LA-P calls, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 11.50 BB

Ajax410
11-09-2004, 02:53 AM
An interesting line I was convinced to take when I have Ax and the flop brings an ace.

Check/Call
Check/Call
Bet

This is going to confuse your opponent, and his confusion will often cause him to just call the river, as opposed to raising if he does have you outkicked. It will actually save you money.

If you put LAG on an Ace, you should actually raise the turn because the LP-P is calling and you're going to split the pot with anything that isn't a 6, AK, or AQ (and you seem confident no one is holding these). If LP-P could have any two, and he's likely to call with nothing, you're going to be splitting any dollars he puts in with LAG, so you might as well pad the pot and get a little info. This is, of course, a read dependent play.

Ajax

jlpadge21
11-09-2004, 07:04 AM
[ QUOTE ]
If you put LAG on an Ace, you should actually raise the turn because the LP-P is calling and you're going to split the pot with anything that isn't a 6, AK, or AQ (and you seem confident no one is holding these)

[/ QUOTE ]

You don't know this on the turn, since the turn was a 2. Any kicker over a 6 here is leading.

Ajax410
11-09-2004, 07:18 AM
Meant river - sorry.

Ajax

maryfield48
11-09-2004, 08:36 AM
[ QUOTE ]
An interesting line I was convinced to take when I have Ax and the flop brings an ace.

Check/Call
Check/Call
Bet

This is going to confuse your opponent, and his confusion will often cause him to just call the river, as opposed to raising if he does have you outkicked. It will actually save you money.

[/ QUOTE ]

Interesting line. Stop-Stop-Go, eh?

[ QUOTE ]
If you put LAG on an Ace, you should actually raise the turn because the LP-P is calling and you're going to split the pot with anything that isn't a 6, AK, or AQ (and you seem confident no one is holding these).

[/ QUOTE ]

I was less confident about no 6 than no AK/AQ, but I decided not to give credit for one unless there were some sort of announcement

[ QUOTE ]
If LP-P could have any two, and he's likely to call with nothing, you're going to be splitting any dollars he puts in with LAG, so you might as well pad the pot and get a little info. This is, of course, a read dependent play.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah makes sense, depending on the read.

btspider
11-09-2004, 10:40 AM
[ QUOTE ]

Check/Call
Check/Call
Bet

[/ QUOTE ]

this is more appropriate when it is heads-up. Hero should be betting this flop for value.. his hand will be difficult to beat if he has the best of it right now.

Ajax410
11-09-2004, 11:45 AM
[quotehis hand will be difficult to beat if he has the best of it right now.

[/ QUOTE ]

On man, I cannot tell you how happy reading that made me. And that's saying sometihng, considering it is before 10 AM on a Tuesday and I'm running on 2 hours of sleep.

I am not sure if this is a typical raising situation. As of 2 or 3 days ago, I would advocate that exact strategy, but now, I think that there is something to be said for calling down and betting the river. The play is certainly more effective heads up, but against a LAG and a LP-P, I think it has its own merits.

Ajax

maryfield48
11-09-2004, 12:20 PM
One more question about this line, Ajax:

[ QUOTE ]
Check/Call
Check/Call
Bet

[/ QUOTE ]

Does the third /images/graemlins/heart.gif alter the river bet?

btspider
11-09-2004, 12:39 PM
oh, i see why you are suggesting it now.. i browsed a bit quick and didn't notice the LAG immediately behind you.

if you knew LAG would bet the flop and turn, then the check-call of those streets is a good line since you'll be able to get out of the hand easily if someone check-raises him. its difficult to count on a LAG to bet this flop for you when he only limped preflop..