PDA

View Full Version : Setting limits on gain/loss per session?

TheHybrid144
11-08-2004, 11:25 PM
I've started playing on PR .25/.50 with a small bankroll and have had some very quick success. I've noticed that I often "lose back" money that I make in a few hands and often play too long. The question, is it a good idea to set a limit per session so these things don't get out of hand? I'm currently doing a +/- $10 system where I will quit if I win or lose more than 10. Also, I don't multi-table, only one at a time with the current bankroll.

meanjean
11-08-2004, 11:42 PM
Most books tell you not to set a limit on gains. They'll tell you to keep playing if the table is "good" until you are no longer playing well or have to leave for other reasons. As far as losses, it should depend on why your losing. If its because the players are better, leave immediately. If it's because you're playing poorly, leave immediately. If it's bad luck/bad beats it will usually turn around unless you feel like you're going on tilt and making bad plays.

There was a link up earlier about leaving a table after losing 30 bb. It was from lederer's sisters webpage

These are things I've read in various books and make sense to me.

prayformojo
11-08-2004, 11:47 PM
If you are at a profitable table, don't ever leave it because you have won or lost a set amount, unless losing (or winning) is going to affect your play for the worse. It's all one session. Have a proper bankroll, learn to accept variance: how much you win or lose will hardly matter to you.