PDA

View Full Version : Am I missing something?????????

05-06-2002, 01:26 AM
Why is it that Omaha players think AA is something special???? I see 'em every day going broke on AA in the Pot-limit games. How often does AAxx hold up in omaha high???

05-07-2002, 06:51 AM
Because it is something special in Holdem.

They don't realize it's 6 two card combinations in omaha, as opposed to the 1 two card combo in holdem. Nevermind the fact you can't play the board in omaha.

But god bless those omaha players who don't under the differences, especially the pot limit ones!

05-07-2002, 10:43 AM
Omaha players think AAXX is something special because AAXX *is* something special. It contains the best pair you can have. And usually (about three times out of four) at least one of the aces is suited, which makes the combination even better.

It's true that some players overplay AAXX, but that doesn't negate it's value. Suppose the flop is AcQd9h - would you rather hold AAXX, KKXX, QQXX, or 99XX?

The percentage of the time AAXX holds up for any particular player in Omaha-high would depend on the tightness of the game, the number of players, and which player held the AAXX.

Just my opinion.

Buzz

05-07-2002, 03:37 PM
AAXX surely isn't as strong in Omaha as it is in Hold'em but I doubt any of the good Omaha players let themselves get trapped by it and it is certainly stronger that KKXX or QQXX, especially when at least one ace is suited (I personally don't play much Omaha high however)

05-08-2002, 04:39 PM
I'd prefer the straight draw over a set because more often the draw will beat the set. Just my opinion.

05-09-2002, 08:16 AM
"I want KJT8"

For heads-up play, if the flop is AcQd9h, and if your opponent has AAXX, say AA65, you need to catch one of twelve cards (KKKJJJTTT888) without your opponent catching one of eight cards (AA666555) or a turn/river board pair. There are twenty one neutral cards. 12*21 + 12*11/2 - 12 = 306. KJT8 only has 306 combos going for it, out of a possible 990. Any of the other 684 turn/river combinations are winners for AA65.

Thus AA65 is 684 to 306 or better than a two to one favorite to beat KJT8, heads up, after a flop of AQ9.

But you have a good point for a full table. If the table were full, KJT8 would be a nice hand for a flop of AQ9, and would be a favorite over AA65, since it is unlikely the flopped set of aces would be good enough to win in a full game, both hands would need to improve on the turn and/or river, and since KJT8 would be more likely ot improve and make a straight than AA65 would be to improve to quads or a full house.

But suppose we didn't know what the flop would be.

Michael Barry did a computer analysis of many Omaha-high hands and found AA65 has a higher simulated win rate than KJT9. (KJT9 is obviously a better hand than KJT8).

I chose 65 for the XX part of AAXX because 65 does not particularly fit well with AA. You do like your cards to coordinate well with each other in Omaha-high.

Do you still prefer KJT8 to AAXX? /images/smile.gif

Buzz

05-10-2002, 05:16 PM
The pots I play in are rarely head-up.