PDA

View Full Version : lay down AA here?

erfinator
11-08-2004, 08:17 PM
second hand a $50 sit n go on party.

Hero has A /images/graemlins/spade.gif A /images/graemlins/diamond.gif UTG and raises to 100. 2 callers. Flop is 2 /images/graemlins/heart.gif 2 /images/graemlins/spade.gif 3 /images/graemlins/heart.gif

Hero bets 200. First limper calls. Second limper moves all-in.

Hero...?

TheDrone
11-08-2004, 08:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Hero...?

[/ QUOTE ]
...moves all in and takes down the pot against the flush draw. No way am I folding AA here.

The4thFilm
11-08-2004, 08:24 PM
call instantly

adanthar
11-08-2004, 08:58 PM
Turbocalls and then hits the call button again in case the software didn't get it the first time

SmileyEH
11-08-2004, 09:03 PM
I would rather shoot myself in the face then fold.

-SmileyEH

Phill S
11-08-2004, 09:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Hero...?

[/ QUOTE ]

dictionary.com defines hero as:

1. In mythology and legend, a man, often of divine ancestry, who is endowed with great courage and strength, celebrated for his bold exploits, and favored by the gods.

2. A person noted for feats of courage or nobility of purpose, especially one who has risked or sacrificed his or her life: soldiers and nurses who were heroes in an unpopular war.

it defines weak as:
1. Lacking physical strength, energy, or vigor; feeble.
2. Likely to fail under pressure, stress, or strain; lacking resistance: a weak link in a chain.
3. Lacking firmness of character or strength of will.
4. Lacking the proper strength or amount of ingredients: weak coffee.
5. Lacking the ability to function normally or fully: a weak heart.
6. Lacking aptitude or skill: a weak student; weak in math.
7. Lacking or resulting from a lack of intelligence.

it defines stupid as:
1. Slow to learn or understand; obtuse.
2. Tending to make poor decisions or careless mistakes.
3. Marked by a lack of intelligence or care; foolish or careless: a stupid mistake.
4. Dazed, stunned, or stupefied.
5. Pointless; worthless: a stupid job.

to fold is two of the three. can you guess which?

part of poker, especially tourneys, and ESPECIALLY SnGs is courage. its not talked about on here often enough. this is gambling you must take chances.

you have to be brave to be bold. your have to be bold to be daring.

the finest elite fighting force in the world bar none is the SAS. their motto is:
'Who dares wins'

write it down. put it on a post-it-note next to your monitor, it means something.

Phill

lastchance
11-08-2004, 09:39 PM
Hey, courage means nothing when you get a real strong read you're beat. I suppose it's some courage to lay down a good hand when you know you're beat.

But, yeah, don't fold without a strong read here.

rybones
11-08-2004, 10:52 PM
O.K., your first mistake was raising this hand to 100 (that's what 5xbb) from utg. See if it were me, I would be scared that someone with a really good drawing hand would call that bet and then, of course, their draw would hit and I would get raised off the pot on the flop. I save myself this worry by limping in this spot. This way when that really great drawing hand raises before the flop I can be confident it will hit and fold prior to the flop. This move saves me the 4xbb that I didn't raise and assures that I don't get knocked out in lower than sixth place. For me, sixth through fourth places are moral victories. I like moral victories they make me feel proud of myself and my self-controll. I play for that feeling -- money doesn't really matter to me.

Your second mistake was the post. You invited the flaming that came in this thread. The fact is your pre-flop bet should have been good enough to push out any 2 or 3, even pocket twos or pocket threes. Some might argue for a larger pre-flop bet there and they may not be wrong, but the fact remains you need to push here.

just my thoughts

Ryan

rjb03
11-08-2004, 10:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
O.K., your first mistake was raising this hand to 100 (that's what 5xbb) from utg. See if it were me, I would be scared that someone with a really good drawing hand would call that bet and then, of course, their draw would hit and I would get raised off the pot on the flop. I save myself this worry by limping in this spot. This way when that really great drawing hand raises before the flop I can be confident it will hit and fold prior to the flop. This move saves me the 4xbb that I didn't raise and assures that I don't get knocked out in lower than sixth place. For me, sixth through fourth places are moral victories. I like moral victories they make me feel proud of myself and my self-controll. I play for that feeling -- money doesn't really matter to me.

just my thoughts

Ryan

[/ QUOTE ]

Damn, I've got to overhaul my whole SNG strategy now. Look what you've done.

erfinator
11-09-2004, 01:09 AM
After about 5 seconds of deliberation, I figured the guy for a draw and called. Of course, he flipped over 3,3 for a flopped boat. I guess I could've made a bigger pre-flop raise, but I thought a raise of 6.5x the bb would get hands like 3,3 to fold. Oh well.

NicktheManiac
11-09-2004, 02:27 AM
That's poker I guess. But you made the right call. You were a 4-1 favorite before the flop so twenty-five percent of the time your nemesis will hit. C'est la vie.

CWolf
11-09-2004, 03:08 AM
[ QUOTE ]
That's poker I guess. But you made the right call. You were a 4-1 favorite before the flop so twenty-five percent of the time your nemesis will hit. C'est la vie.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ummm... no. You were a four to one favorite preflop, if you were to see all 5 cards. He would hit 1 out of 8.5 flops.

And even if it were 4-1 to the flop, it would be 20%.