PDA

View Full Version : Value bet the river with 99 on this board?

Jeff W
11-08-2004, 07:48 PM
First time playing the Party 5/10 6 max game. My opponent seems to be relatively loose passive, but i've only been at the table for a few hands. Should I value bet this river and fold to a raise? Is the rest of my play okay?

Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (6 max, 5 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is SB with 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 9/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
UTG calls, <font color="666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, BB calls, UTG calls.

Flop: (6 SB) K/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 7/images/graemlins/club.gif, 4/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB folds, UTG calls.

Turn: (4 BB) A/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG calls.

River: (6 BB) 4/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, UTG checks.

Final Pot: 6 BB
<font color="green">Main Pot: 6 BB, between UTG and Hero.</font>

Scotch78
11-08-2004, 08:19 PM
With this flop it's unlikely he's on a draw, so either it hit him, he's holding a PP or he has an ace. If there were two cards on the flop higher than yours it'd be a clear check for me, or if the turn wasn't an ace it would be a clearer bet. As it is it's pretty close and I probably check.

Scott

JimmyJazz1
11-08-2004, 08:40 PM
Because his opponent is loose passive and the BB he could have relatively any hand and not neccesarily an Ace or PP. I think if the villian had an ace, he would most definately raised on the turn. So I think a value bet on the river is the right play and you obviously fold to a raise.

Scotch78
11-08-2004, 09:12 PM
No, a passive player would most likely not raise with just top pair. Also, unless he's extremely loose, he doesn't have Q-high. So the question is likely whether his pair is higher than the hero's, not whether he has one to begin with.

Scott

Benjamin
11-08-2004, 09:53 PM
It seems kinda close to me, but with the 4 pairing on the board, I think that number of hands that he might hold that will pay you off probably drop down below the number that he has that beat you. I just don't see him with a lower pocket pair or a seven more often than he has a king, ace, or 4. And, as mentioned it's unlikely he'll call w/Q hi or worse, though that's not completely unknown. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

Edit to add: If he bets when you check though, I'd call, because even passive players will bluff the river with junk with some regularity in this situation, I think.

B.

Joe826
11-08-2004, 10:26 PM
easy check IMO. you feel lucky when he checks behind with a king or a weak ace. if you bet and are called here, you're almost undoubtably beat. the only hands you're getting value from here are 7x and 88 probably.