PDA

View Full Version : What to do when the turn brings an overcard

Gomez22
11-08-2004, 07:16 PM
I had a situation come up today that made me start to wonder about what I think is a huge leak in my game - my play on the turn. Not getting into why I think my turn play sucks so bad, let me show the hand that got me started on this.....

Let me start by saying that villain in this hand is kinda unpredictable, but not very good - I have him in my PT database: 248 hands, 20.9 VP$IP, 4% PFR, 0.2 PF agg, 1.3 flop agg.....

PokerStars 1/2 Hold'em (9 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Gomez22 is MP3 with K/images/graemlins/club.gif, Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, <font color="CC3333">Gomez22 raises</font>, CO folds, Button folds, SB calls, BB folds.

Flop: (5 SB) Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 4/images/graemlins/spade.gif, T/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">SB bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Gomez22 raises</font>, SB calls.

Turn: (4.50 BB) A/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="CC3333">Gomez22 bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">SB raises</font>, Gomez22 folds.

Final Pot: 7.50 BB
<font color="green">Main Pot: 6.50 BB, won by SB.</font>
<font color="green">Pot 2: 1 BB, returned to SB.</font>

OK - I don't think there's any way I can call a turn check-raise here, but I got to thinking about it, and I thought: "When the turn card is a scare card, and I have position, and don't think I can call a check-raise, checking the turn and calling a river bet is the way to go". Only problem is, I'm not real good at identifying these situations, as you can obviously tell.....

I think getting to the showdown in these situations may be more important than being aggressive. Also, should I be behind on the turn, I have to catch a clean 3-outer(dirty 4-outer) to take the lead and I can't do that pissing away the turn.....

Thoughts?

Joe Tall
11-08-2004, 08:49 PM
Your opponent stats lead him to be the loose passive type, his bet on the flop is alarming, if you are not behind 2-pair, a set, you are when the Ace comes off to KJ-broadway. You need to put your opponents on a range of hands and then think about the percentage of time you are ahead versus the size of the pot. Here, I think you may have to check through w/outs as this type of opponent doesn't fail to bet a flop into a PFR w/o a hand or one that can improve strongly.

Peace,
Joe Tall

Gomez22
11-08-2004, 10:13 PM
Joe -

Long time no talk.... nice to hear from you again....

AND.............

CONGRATS on the World Series!!!!!