PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts

kurto
11-08-2004, 06:06 PM
I'm curious to hear thoughts. I'll share mine along the way including where I think I underbet. Note: this table had little to minimal pre-flop raising. With that, I didn't think my call pre-flop was too loose.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.25 BB (8 handed)

BB ($10.65)
UTG ($20.35)
UTG+1 ($55.50)
Hero ($15.20)
MP2 ($9.60)
CO ($19.70)
Button ($8.30)
SB ($24.75)

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with T/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
<font color="666666">2 folds</font>, Hero calls $0.25, <font color="666666">3 folds</font>, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: ($0.75) 2/images/graemlins/club.gif, T/images/graemlins/spade.gif, A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="CC3333">BB bets $0.5</font>, Hero calls $0.50, SB folds.

With no bets pre-flop, I thought this 50 cent bet was an attempt to steal. Though possible someone had an ace, for 50 cents, they didn't seem confident about it. My read was this was a steal or a lower or middle pair. Call too weak?

Turn: ($1.75) 6/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">BB bets $0.25</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises to $0.75</font>, BB calls $0.50.

.25cent bet? Unless he's trapping for pennies, this screams weakness. I raised to .75 based on my earlier read and my flush draw. Here's where I'm thinking people say I didn't bet enough. Should I have tried to take it here? Or worth going for the monster?

River: ($3.25) 8/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets $2</font>, BB calls $2.

Last question: Anyone think he would have gone for more then $2? The biggest mystery to me is when you know you have it and want a call, what the magic number is that someone will call. Too little and its missed opportunity, too high and its a fold.

Final Pot: $7.25
<font color="green">Main Pot: $7.25, between BB and Hero.</font>

amoeba
11-08-2004, 06:20 PM
I think I would have just called the turn but maybe I'm too weak.

kurto
11-08-2004, 06:44 PM
That's interesting that you would just call. I'm often tempted to do that. I've been actively trying to be more aggressive, at least against who I perceive to be weaker players. I thought people would say I was still being too weak?

I suppose it's all read dependent?

Though by raising, if he had a weak ace, he may have folded and certain if he had bottom pair... at least had a raised stronger then I did.

greg nice
11-08-2004, 06:49 PM
if you think hes weak on the flop, why not raise and take it down there?

if you think hes weak on the turn, why not make a real raise and take it down there?

YourFoxyGrandma
11-08-2004, 06:56 PM
I'm going to agree with greg. If you're sensing weakness, I think the call on the flop is weak. Raise the flop, raise the turn.

kurto
11-08-2004, 06:59 PM
"if you think hes weak on the flop, why not raise and take it down there?" That's a good question. I would say that, because its online poker, there are very few players I feel 100% certain of my read. Also; if he had a weak ace, if he was a calling station, then I would be throwing money away. My read was strong enough for me to stay in but perhaps not more? Does that make sense?

"if you think hes weak on the turn, why not make a real raise and take it down there?"

I think you are correct. Though my thinking may be muddled. (1) I still have some doubts to my read. (2) I thought my raise might make him fold anything that wasn't an ace and (3) I got excited by the flush draw and knew if it hit, I'd likely have a chance to milk more money out of it.

This may be weak of me. That's what I'm hoping to find out!

YourFoxyGrandma
11-08-2004, 07:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I got excited by the flush draw and knew if it hit, I'd likely have a chance to milk more money out of it.

[/ QUOTE ]

More often than not your flush isn't going to hit here. You want to raise the turn as a semibluff and hope that he doesn't call. You have the flush draw as a backup.

greg nice
11-08-2004, 07:37 PM
well those reasons you give are valid, but also make this a clear case to fold preflop.