PDA

View Full Version : 2 questions on a lowlimit O/8 hand

04-27-2002, 05:03 PM
1/2 Online O/8.

I'm UTG +2 with As9s2c4d. I limp hoping to limp-reraise.

Question 1: It appears that Zee would frown upon this type of play since he says that "a lot of raising before the flop adds marginally to your profits, but it adds tremendously to your fluctuations". But the advisor on Turbo O/8 seems to advocate this type of play from any position other than the cutoff or button. Thoughts?

I called, there were two more callers and a late position player raised. SB and BB call, I reraise, and everyone calls. This call put the original raiser all-in (and could not complete the bet). Approximately 18sbs for the flop.

Flop is 4c Qh 3c (I have As 9s 2d 4d). It's checked to me and tho my low draw is counterfeitable, I bet anyway, hoping to get someone to fold. Should I have checked? I got 3 callers.

Turn 2h [4c Qh 3c]. The SB bet and I'd never seen the SB lead before. I convinced myself the worst he had was Ax6x or a heart draw. So I folded.

River was a 4 and I would have dragged app. 13 big bets since the SB was indeed bluffing. Obviously I made a bad read, but even so:

Question 2: should I have called b/c of the size of the pot?

Thanks as always!

04-27-2002, 05:06 PM
Just noticed Bob asked a similar question below about the limp-reraise Turbo Advisor thingy. Sorry for the duplicate question.

04-28-2002, 03:23 AM
You have no safe outs on the river; you really can't expect to win most of the time even if the board pairs the two or the four. And even when you do win, you split the pot. Add to that the fact that someone may raise with the nut straight, wheel, or flush draws behind you.

You are drawing way too thin here. You have zero safe outs. You must fold.

Mike

04-30-2002, 02:44 AM
Hammuh,

Question 1: I would not reraise. Simply because the other raise indicates that you could be possibly sharing the other ace deuce suited low. I would not want to try to knock anyone out of the pot. I want those limpers to stay in with my hand. Futhermore, the nine only helps you because of it's suitedness. The nine cannot help you make a straight, so you have a hand with no good high draws. Your hands best chance before the flop is to share a low with someone else and flop a flush draw.

Concerning your second question, I would bet the flop. This way they do not know whether I am betting top set or the low draw. Since, they only called on the flop you know for sure that no one has a pair of queens, which helps you, because if someone had a set you would get raised. Hands like TJQK should fold here, along with A3xx hands. By betting the flop you can make your opponents guess as to whether you have a high, low, or both types of hands.

On the turn, it's posible that someone could have a wheel, but the pot is offering you 12-to-1 to call at this point. I'd call representing a set of queens trying to make a boat. But, actually what you have is two pair with a gutshot draw to the nut low. But, with the amount of money in the pot you should call. If five pops off on the river you will still get a piece of the pie, even if it is a quarter. Plus, your two pair can make a full house. There is enough in the pot to make the call. Futhermore, when the four or deuce does come on the river you can bet it if no one bets before you, if the small blind does bet I'd raise because he may be betting a low, plus I might get a player that tied or even beat me to fold behind me. They will be afraid that you may have a full house and may even fold the best hand. Even if they have a hand like A24Q and beat you, you will probably not be raised, and they might even fold.

I think there is a lot to think about on how you should play this hand.

Good Luck

Mark