PDA

View Full Version : Why does villain wake up on turn?

chaz64
11-08-2004, 04:06 PM
Paradise Poker 0.02/0.04 Hold'em (9 handed)

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, K/images/graemlins/club.gif. UTG posts a blind of $0.02.
UTG (poster) checks, UTG+1 calls, MP1 folds, MP2 calls, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, CO folds, Button calls, <font color="CC3333">SB 3-bets</font>, BB folds, UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, MP2 calls, Hero calls, Button calls.

Flop: (15 SB) 2/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, K/images/graemlins/heart.gif, T/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, MP2 checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, Button folds, SB calls, MP2 calls.

Turn: (9 BB) 2/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">SB bets</font>, MP2 folds, Hero calls.

Hard to imagine what hand he would 3-bet pre-flop with, where a two would help him, yet he wakes up here. I was tempted to fold but thought he was bluffing and called. Anyone fold here, or raise?

River: (11 BB) J/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks.

Do you bet here or take the free showdown? Comments please, thanks.

Final Pot: 11 BB

Klak
11-08-2004, 04:12 PM
im not sure why he bets on the turn. i think he has a weak king or maybe king ten and is afraid that you might not bet. either that or he has a 2 or is bluffing that he has a 2. i think you bet the river depending on your read. if he is a bad player bet, if he is good go ahead and check through.

Marquis
11-08-2004, 04:17 PM
Raise the turn but calling wasn't bad. Folding would be terrible.

I'm OK with checking the river, the only thing you beat that's reasonable is QQ.

Was he reasonable?

LowDown22
11-08-2004, 04:28 PM
It is a strange turn bet. Almost like SB is trying to scare you into believing he has a set. I'm hesistant to raise the turn (although I think its the right play). I would certainly bet the river once SB checks.

btspider
11-08-2004, 04:31 PM
call the turn. let him bet your hand for you. a raise will just scare QQ type hands and be 3-bet by a better hand.

bet the river.

folding this hand would be ridiculous.

Marquis
11-08-2004, 04:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
bet the river.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I'm starting to agree. I don't get why he would check-raise there. He HAS to have QQ, right?

btspider
11-08-2004, 04:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
bet the river.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I'm starting to agree. I don't get why he would check-raise there. He HAS to have QQ, right?

[/ QUOTE ]

i have no idea what he has at .02/.04.. but I don't think he has AA/KK/2x one-third of the time (AA may not c/r either).

actually the J on the river sucks more than I first thought.. the check isn't too bad. he splits with AK too.. so you begin to get into the 'depends' territory here. it comes down to what he will 3-bet with PF. i hate hand reading at the penny stakes.. people are crazy.

Marquis
11-08-2004, 04:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
but I don't think he has AA/KK/2x one-third of the time

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't forget AQ and JJ. Seems close to me.

meep_42
11-08-2004, 04:56 PM
My guess is TT, he didn't want it to check through.

-d

TheHip41
11-08-2004, 05:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I was tempted to fold but thought he was bluffing and called. Anyone fold here, or raise?

[/ QUOTE ]

A better question is, why would you ever fold here? This is the flop and turn you dream of with AK. I'd raise the turn, call the 3-bet, and call the river.

If I raise the turn, and he just calls, bet the river. He won't have KK or AA enough to worry about it.

Marquis
11-08-2004, 05:15 PM
So, what did he have?

chaz64
11-08-2004, 05:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]

A better question is, why would you ever fold here?

[/ QUOTE ]

Because I thought he turned trips and I was drawing too thin to call. Since he had only two opponents I thought he might just be bluffing trips (regardless of his pre-flop 3-bet) so I called. The jack made possible other good hands I could not beat and I didn't want to get check raised so I didn't bet the river.

He had QQ.

Thanks for the responses. I'm going through an annoying 90 BB downturn right now and it's nice to know that even good players can disagree about situations I - a very mediocre player - am unsure of.

Klak
11-08-2004, 05:56 PM
i think most people are telling you to bet from what i saw. this is the type of advice most people will give on here. if it is a borderline situation, usually bet for value especially at nano limits.

Marquis
11-08-2004, 06:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The jack made possible other good hands I could not beat and I didn't want to get check raised so I didn't bet the river.

He had QQ.

[/ QUOTE ]

There was no reason for him to try to check-raise you since you didn't raise the turn. He pretty much told you he had QQ when he checked, every other pf 3-bet hand beats you except AK and he wouldn't risk it getting checked through. So you bet because in the six seconds you have to think about it you deduce that he absolutely must have QQ to have played it the way he did (yeah, right).

That was a tough hand, and I think you played it well. Thankfully they aren't all that hard. Someday we'll be able to make those really super tough decisions, and make them correctly, in the very short time we have to think about it. But you'll be surprised at how second-nature much of it gets. Keep at it.

chaz64
11-09-2004, 10:52 AM
Marquis,

Thanks for the encouraging words.