PDA

View Full Version : Did I throw away my Act II?

blahblah
11-08-2004, 03:46 PM
After finishing chip lead in my Act I for the WPT, I started an Act II and was one of 4 players left. I raised UTG with AJh for $600 (straight) and got one caller. The pot was $1500. The flop comes down all blanks but two hearts. I check and my opponent goes all in for another $900. I have around $500 bringing the total pot size to $2000 (before my call). If I call, he's got me covered.

I figured if he had AA or JJ I still had my flush to win. If he had KK or QQ I had the aces to include in my outs and anything less than that gives me 3 aces, 3 jacks and 9 hearts. Turns out, he had pocket 6s...which I didn't put him on. To be honest, I'm not even sure I put him on a specific hand but I knew I was behind.

In general, I hate my tournament ending on a draw and I figured with the blinds costing me $300/round and only four of us at the table it might be the best chance I had before blinding out. If I hit I would have coasted into third and at a minimum got another Act II. However, I'm pretty disappointed that I got knocked out on a draw.

Can anyone help me analyze this play? Did I make the right move? Did I fail to consider something?

(Let me end this by saying that I am a beginner to intermediate NLHE player. I have read and re-read every poker book imaginable and understand the concepts very well. I am currently slightly down to break even which in general is how my career over the last year has been. I don't play limit and I stick primarily to NLHE tournaments. So, I bow down to those that help and are money making players. Also note, my goal isn't the money. I prefer to win and I find the money to be a very exciting part of the game. But I'll take first place anyday.)

Reef
11-08-2004, 03:55 PM
Apparently, you made the right play, as you had 15 outs and were over 50% to win the pot. He only had 2 outs for redraw, assuming you only hit a pair. I'd take the two overcards and flush draw over the small pair any day. Worse case scenario, you had 9 outs.

How big were the blinds?

Besides this, you were pot committed if you only had $500 left on the flop. This leads me to believe you had $1100 preflop (unless I missed something). Why not just move all in and try to pick up the blinds if you're gonna be raising to more than 1/2 your stack.

just some thoughts

blahblah
11-08-2004, 04:12 PM
Reef, thanks for the reply. The blinds were at $100/$200. The specifics on how much I had left are a bit fuzzy but what you calculated seems to be about right.

I didn't move all in thinking that I would try to raise and get some callers and then hit my flop. Gee, isn't that what we're all hoping for. /images/graemlins/smile.gif In general, would you (others?) recommend moving all in if a raise would commit half my stack? Wouldn't it be better (advisable?) to raise, see the flop and then fold if I don't hit? That way, I have something left with which to make a stand even if it means that my next move would most likely be an all in.

MLG
11-08-2004, 04:27 PM
you should not be raising half your stack and then folding if you miss the flop. General rule, if a preflop raise is more than 1/3 your stack just go all-in instead.

willie
11-08-2004, 04:50 PM
hindsight being 20/20 of course, but if you were out of position and going to call the all in, it's usually best to be the first one in the pot since it can scare the crap out of the guy holding low pockets when he's staring at a flushdraw and can't rule out that you have TT and above.

not to say that i wouldn't have check called here, but it still doesn't make it the BEST play.

blahblah
11-08-2004, 06:16 PM
Part of my point was that I reluctantly called. I agree, now of course (thanks to all of you), that moving all in was probably the best move and that check calling wasn't too terrible either. But at the time I felt terrible that I made the call, period. In other words, at the time I think I thought the play and ending my Act II on a draw was a terrible mistake.

Goodie54
11-09-2004, 02:47 PM
Trying not to be too harsh, you didn't make one correct decision in this hand. You should have raised all in pre-flop, given that you didn't, checking a rag flop with two overs and the nut flush draw is (parden the raw truth) horrendous. You should have definetly moved in on the flop. No question.

But next time save yourself the trouble and move in pre-flop.

Peace

Goodie

blahblah
11-09-2004, 04:06 PM
Thanks Goodie! And thanks for being honest. I agree that this would have been the best play and all of you responding have helped me figure that out!

grandgnu
11-09-2004, 04:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Thanks Goodie! And thanks for being honest. I agree that this would have been the best play and all of you responding have helped me figure that out!

[/ QUOTE ]

I think with the A/J of hearts pre-flop with 1100 in chips you can raise to 300 (blinds were at 100,right?) the guy calls with 6/6 and the flop has two hearts. I wouldn't check there and give him the opportunity to push you out of the pot. You have the nut flush draw and I would push and force him to make the decision for lots of chips on a measly pair of 6's. He might have folded and you'd pick it up.