PDA

View Full Version : Limit to No-Limit online

toby
11-08-2004, 02:27 PM
I'm looking for some general pointers here for online no-limit play. I started playing online after getting hooked in small NL home games and immediately lost a couple hundred, probably to you guys. I switched to limit, read a few books, and made it back and more. Anyway I want to make the transition back to NL, but I'm not sure how to do that. I feel comfortable playing live games, shorthanded or ring, because I can see my oppenents. However online I still suck at NL, quite frankly.

Should I try nut-peddling until I find a comfort level? Stay away from draws except nut draws in later positions? I've gotten stacked a few too many times with top pair/overpair hands, whereas in limit that would just cost me a few bets.

phil_ivey_fan
11-08-2004, 02:31 PM
Why not go about it the way you did w/ Limit. Buy books and read.

I don't play much limit, but I know that "implied odds" play a huge factor in NL play.

toby
11-08-2004, 03:44 PM
I haven't found a book that specifically covers small stakes NL online. Super/System is mostly about NL with deep stacks, and Pot/No-Limit Poker by Reuben&Ciaffone I don't think translates to games like 25 or 50 NL in Party Poker.

Wayfare
11-08-2004, 03:51 PM
Read posts by some of the people here, for starters I recommend:

Bunky, myself (humbly), DrPublo, Fimbulwinter, Sponger15bb, BK, etc.

All have very solid advice.

toby
11-08-2004, 04:37 PM
Are there any specific threads you would recommend that you could share (or what I should search for in this forum?)

EarlCat
11-08-2004, 04:48 PM
Why not find a site with cheaper NL games for practice?
UltimateBet for instance has some NL tables with $.01/$.02 blinds. It would take quite a while to lose a few hundred there.

spentrent
11-08-2004, 05:20 PM
Super/System seems to apply fairly well to online small stakes (like Party $25-$100). Just seems like many players are willing to push pre-flop on the short stack with a bigger range of hands, like 77 or KQ. Perhaps a result of watching televised tournaments?

Also you might make more money playing straight ABC poker at those levels instead of playing some of the relatively loose hands Brunson advocates UTG and early. But I dunno, anybody have an opinion on that? Then again, that's no fun!

Bob Moss
11-08-2004, 10:30 PM
I'd recommend reading the other NL forum. This one here is pretty much useless.

Also (has been said many times before, I know) read Supersystem, and have enough buy-ins in your bankroll that losing 3 won't feel too bad.

Bob

phisfliuch
11-09-2004, 02:41 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Are there any specific threads you would recommend that you could share (or what I should search for in this forum?)

[/ QUOTE ]

Try Greg Raymer's response to the "Ante ratio and game 'style' thread in the recent archives. Also, check out Greg's reply to "NL vs limit starting hands". There is much wisdom therein.

Avoid prescriptive advice unless it is well qualified, regardless of who gives it.

phisfliuch
11-09-2004, 03:27 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Pot/No-Limit Poker by Reuben&Ciaffone I don't think translates to games like 25 or 50 NL in Party Poker.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you work hard at understanding the underlying principles, it does.

Rastapopoulos
11-09-2004, 06:04 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Try Greg Raymer's response to the "Ante ratio and game 'style' thread in the recent archives. Also, check out Greg's reply to "NL vs limit starting hands". There is much wisdom therein.

[/ QUOTE ]

*my first post*
I've searched the forum with several different queries that I thought would find the suggested threads but without any luck. I also don't know Greg Raymer's username on the forums. A link to the threads you mentioned, or at least a better "hint" to where I can find them is appreciated. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

phisfliuch
11-09-2004, 06:18 AM
Greg (Fossilman)

Go to "Older Archives" and search under 'recent' archives.

Rastapopoulos
11-09-2004, 07:00 AM
Many thanks.
Should I bookmark the thread, or will it be moved (again) in the future, making it more logical to store "good threads worth reading several times" on my HD instead? /images/graemlins/confused.gif

Kips Bay Kid
11-09-2004, 09:16 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Many thanks.
Should I bookmark the thread, or will it be moved (again) in the future, making it more logical to store "good threads worth reading several times" on my HD instead? /images/graemlins/confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Can you post a link here please? I cannot seem to find these archives he speaks of.