PDA

View Full Version : Chowaha (wish I could make a trademark sign)

04-17-2002, 02:17 PM
Chowaha was created by Mike(?) Chow so give credit where credit is due here. He is the one with the warped mind. /images/smile.gif

*If I remember right*, it goes like this...

Everyone is dealt 2 cards, then you put down 3 flops.

AAA

BBB

CCC

Two Turns

DD

EE

and a river

F

Flop AAA can only be used with Turn D and river F

Flop CCC can only be used with Turn E and River F

Flop BBB can be use with Turns D OR E and River F

If I remember right, all 3 flops are revealed at the same time, then both turns, then the river. Betting is the same as a normal hold-em game.

As I said, he really has a warped mind. /images/smile.gif

Lar

04-17-2002, 04:47 PM
Betting is the same as a normal hold-em game.

Sure - if the normal hold'em game is being played by 7-year-olds who just finished off double helpings of chocolate cake and Coke.

Yes, the game was created by Mike Chow, and I've seen Chris Ferguson play it. In fact, one of the greatest lines ever uttered about poker was said in reference to that event...

I was standing with Martin "Slick" Veneroso, watching a Chowaha game being dealt at the Horseshoe (no, I'm not making this up). Chris had just sat down, and I said to Martin, "Man, it'll be interesting - he's never seen this game before." Martin said,

"Eh, it'll just take him a minute, and then he'll eat them up - they're all just your typical by-the-book S&M Chowaha players."

Regards, Lee

04-17-2002, 06:17 PM
Here's the link to Wolf's chowaha page.

04-17-2002, 07:43 PM
This was one of the games offered on IRC.poker for a while before it went (hopefully temporarily) belly up. After watching (or for the fearsome among you, playing) it for even a short time, you just have to believe that somehow drugs or extreme sleep deprivation were involved in its creation.

04-17-2002, 08:56 PM
"I've seen Chris Ferguson play it."

Got to sit straight across the table from Chris in a very classy field for two or three hours in the unofficial world Chowaha championship at Escargot last year. What a treat for a low limit duffer like me!

Buzz

04-18-2002, 03:54 AM
Hmmmm. Not a bad hypothesis. You'll note from it's toke/ping requirements that it has a plan for world domination.

04-18-2002, 12:34 PM
so there are 6 cards for any given board? for example, AAADDF?

04-18-2002, 01:35 PM
No. But the middle flop (BBB) has two permutations: BBB D F and BBB E F.

04-18-2002, 04:37 PM
There are five cards on any given board. First poster's description of the board left something to be desired. (And, I think he erroneously described a four-card turn, though that might be an interesting variant.) A Chowaha board looks like this:

<PRE>Flop T R

----- - -

A A A

D

B B B F

E

C C C</PRE>

Nine-card flop (AAA BBB CCC). Two-card turn (DE). One-card river (F).

Boards:

AAADF

BBBDF

BBBEF

CCCEF

And, to repeat a good web page with complete rules, follow the link to Wolf's Chowaha Page at the bottom of this message.

P.S. The code for a trademark sign is

<PRE>&amp;trade;</PRE>As far as I know, though, "Chowaha&trade;" is incorrect, as the name is not a trademark. /images/wink.gif

04-19-2002, 04:25 PM

04-25-2002, 03:09 PM
typical by-the-book S&M Chowaha players

It would definitely help to be S&M if playing this game.

Sadistic/masochistic that is.

Treefrog