PDA

View Full Version : O/8 Maximizing bets on the Turn

04-17-2002, 09:33 AM
low limit O/8 game

i have A2QJ (i have the A of spades) on the button and the flop is

6 people see the flop for no raise

Q J 5 w/ 2 spades

it is checked around on flop... who thinks this is a sure bet? i think its prolly a bet and i was too passive.

turn is a Q... so i turn the nut boat

3 guys in early pos check, MP bets 1 caller... now do i raise here and most likely gain 2 BB from the better and the caller or do i call to induce some callers from early position?

thx

peter

04-17-2002, 09:37 AM
obviously the reason i would call is b/c there are alot of straight and flush draws out there... but the chance of someone calling w/ a flush draw is decreased since the board is paired AND i have the A of spades.

peter

04-17-2002, 05:11 PM
I'd raise. I would rather raise and get another bet from each of the two players already in than to just call and hope to get 2 or 3 of the checkers to call. The players who checked both the flop and the turn may have been going for low and will fold to a single bet anyway.

You presently have the nuts and want to charge anyone drawing thin to beat you (with AA, KK, JJ, or 55) the maximum.

04-17-2002, 08:45 PM
Peter - "it is checked around on flop... who thinks this is a sure bet? i think its prolly a bet and i was too passive."

Yes. From the button, for sure, you should bet this. Otherwise you give the low draws a free card. Your opponents can't very well tell if you're betting your cards or betting your position. Since you have cards here (top two pair is decent in this situation), bet them.

"turn is a Q... so i turn the nut boat

3 guys in early pos check, MP bets 1 caller... now do i raise here and most likely gain 2 BB from the better and the caller or do i call to induce some callers from early position?"

Early position players are likely to fold anyway. Yes, you bet here because by doing so, you expect to get two bets on the turn from the better and the caller, rather than just one. Since the bettor will likely check the river anyway, by raising here you lose nothing on the river.

Just my opinion.

Buzz

04-18-2002, 02:49 PM
Also drawing thin are QA and QK. I agree, with the raise, may win the pot right now. May also split the pot with the other QJ.

04-23-2002, 05:29 AM
You should *definitely* put in a bet on the flop. You are more likely to get calls for a small bet with 2 cards to come, than on the turn when its a large bet and the low draws may already be dead. You'll also build the pot a little this way, which may attract more loose calls on the turn.