PDA

View Full Version : Plasma TV deal, need advice

Topflight
11-08-2004, 12:19 PM
http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html/602-2154205-8955038?asin=B0002IBO6Y

it says $1999 but its actually $1799.

I want to know if this is a good price, but I also want to know if its a good tube.

It seems cheap for plasma, somehow that scares me, but it says hdtv compatible, which I would like. I wanna know about hdtv/edtv, plasma vs not plasma, and other [censored] like that.

ThaSaltCracka
11-08-2004, 12:27 PM
why would you buy a TV from Target?

Topflight
11-08-2004, 01:02 PM
haha, I don't know. My friend emailed me this question. He wanted to know if it was a good deal. I have no idea so I posted it here.

But really, it looks decent to us uneducated folk. Why would sitting on the shelf at target make it bad?

ThaSaltCracka
11-08-2004, 01:18 PM
Target sells crappy low end electronic equipment. Would you buy this same thing from K-Mart or Wal-Mart? Same deal there.

I would go buy it from Best Buy before I buy it from Target. If you have a Video Only near you, go there. They sell good stuff, plus you can haggle with them on the price.

LALDAAS
11-08-2004, 02:34 PM
I was in the market to buy a plasma TV 6 months ago. I dumbed my fiancee becuase she was a ***** and said I was going to take the money for our wedding that I was saving and hook up the ulitmate man zone /images/graemlins/smile.gif

In all honesty unless you have the money to burn, dont bother. Way to much money! wait a few years. I was looking at the sony 51 in. wide screen cost after tax was $4252

A week prior to the purchase of the plasma tv I was in costco and noticed the had a phillips 47in wide screen rear projection HDTV 16:9 on discount for $699 it was the last one and the floor modle. I talked the manager down to $550 and havent looked back since.

The frigin TV is awsome. It has every thing one can imagine. I can frigin watch 4 football games at once /images/graemlins/shocked.gif

I took the money I would have dumbed on the plasma and got an awsome 3 piece leather living room set. NICE!

The best part of the TV was it had every input known to man on it. So I used the digital in and hooked my pc to the tv. I now kick back in my oh so cozy recliner with my gyro wireless mouse and keyboard and play POKER!

In addition to man zone, also with the $$$ I would have spent, I also picked up a keg-O-rator form Homedepo for $499
money extremly well spent!

To say the least my home game is always at my house /images/graemlins/cool.gif

LALDAAS
11-08-2004, 04:24 PM
I should probally start a new thread for this but I would like to hear how peeps have hooked up there apt/house with toys and gadgets.

Boris
11-08-2004, 05:43 PM
I would seriously consider getting a DLP rear projection TV. The plasma tv are too expensive and they don't last very long.

astroglide
11-08-2004, 05:48 PM
the lifespan stuff is so exaggerated that it's to the point of myth when it comes to plasmas. black levels, burn in, heat, power draw, intereference on commercial sets, are more realistic things to worry about with them. i won't do dlp until superfast higher segment color wheels or multiple wheels are used because of the rainbow factor.

namknils
11-08-2004, 05:56 PM
I've heard a lot of bad things about plasma TV's, although I admit they look very cool, but I think that's why most people buy them. Earlier this summer I bought a 57" Sony rear projection TV for about the same price as your friend is looking at. I am extremely happy with it. It doesn't take up much space either. The dumbass sales person at BestBuy tried to talk me into buying a plasma that was more than twice as much as I wanted to spend because it was smaller and lighter. Stupidist sales person ever. I went somewhere else and they were able to negotiate on the price too.

Boris
11-08-2004, 06:05 PM
I've done alot of research in this area so it's not like I'm talking completely out of my ass. I know that for commercial applications the plasma screens burn out in less than a year. Of course in these environments the screens are on practically 24/7.

I spoke with a designer of custom, super high end home entertainment systems. He said the TI DLP TVs are great. They look ok to me in the showroom.

What is the rainbow effect and why would a faster color wheel solve it? As far as I know all TVs have to show 30 fps, DLP included.

Senor Choppy
11-08-2004, 07:11 PM
I bought a DLP that looked fantastic in the showroom, but when I got it home the rainbow effect from color wheels drove me insane. Some people don't notice it, and others are so distracted by it it's all they notice. As long as the store you buy from has a good return policy, you could give one a shot and see if it bothers you or your friends. It really is a deal breaker though if you're one of the people that sees them, so be prepared.

I just bought a Sony LCD projection set which has a picture that's almost as nice as DLP, with none of the problems.

astroglide
11-08-2004, 07:18 PM
i wasn't suggesting that you were talking completely out of your ass. plasmas do have a "shelf life" before their brightness greatly diminishes, but it's so far out in modern models that it's not worth considering (especially for the economic class of folks buying such tvs in general).

google for DLP and RAINBOWS or search avsforum and you'll get tons of results, it's an issue where certain people can immediately see which makes action or high contrast scenes look terrible to them on dlps. 2+2's venerable senor choppy as well as my girlfriend are people who instantly notice them. even if it doesn't affect you or your immediate family, it would blow to have friends over and have them get hit by it.

Boris
11-08-2004, 07:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
google for DLP and RAINBOWS or search avsforum and you'll get tons of results, it's an issue where certain people can immediately see which makes action or high contrast scenes look terrible to them on dlps.

[/ QUOTE ]

did it. very interesting.