PDA

View Full Version : Omaha 8 5/10 Jam Today No Jam Tomorrow

04-09-2002, 03:03 PM
I must warn you that I have posted this message to rgp and the internet games section. I don't want to be accused of cross-posting (cross-dressing fair enough). I know, I'm a meglomaniac but at least my psychiatrist has convinced me not to invade Poland!

It is also long.

Omaha 8 $5/$10 online. I rarely play 5/10 online as it is unusual to get a game loose enough for my liking. I don't think I am a great player but I make a profit in the looser games. I hate playing tight or short-handed Omaha 8. This time I spot the brief flowering of a loosey goosey $5/$10 and jump in from my normal $3/$6 game.

After a few hands this one comes up. I'm on the button and I'm Goofy.

***** Hand History for Game 5741972 *****!

5/10 OmahaHiLoGameTable - Tue Apr 09 00:11:07 EDT 2002

Table Disney's Magic Castle (Real Money) -- Seat 8 is the button

Total number of players : 10

Seat 1: Huey ( $293)

Seat 2: Dewey ( $291)

Seat 3: Louey ( $295)

Seat 4: Porky Pig ( $114)

Seat 5: Minnie Mouse ( $245)

Seat 6: Daffy Duck ( $295)

Seat 7: Donald Duck ( $103)

Seat 8: Goofy ( $230)

Seat 9: Mickey Mouse ( $206)

Seat 10: Extra killed in first scene ( $237)

Mickey Mouse posts small blind (2)

Huey posts big blind (5)

** Dealing down cards **

Dealt to Goofy [ 3s, 2s, 9d, Ac ]

Woohoo! A23 you can't see that often enough in a loose game. It is a three legged horse but look at those legs! The nine is a peice of crap, much rather have a card 10 up or 7 down. Also only a crappy flush draw which will probably only get me into trouble.

Let's hope for lots of callers...

Dewey folds.

Louey folds.

Porky Pig calls (5)

Minnie Mouse calls (5)

Daffy Duck calls (5)

Donald Duck calls (5)

4 callers. Great. I would normally raise this up with 2 callers unless they were particulary tight.

Goofy raises (10)

Mickey Mouse calls (8)

Huey calls (5)

Porky Pig calls (5)

Minnie Mouse calls (5)

Daffy Duck calls (5)

Donald Duck raises (10)

Okay a late limper reraises what does it mean? Absolutley nothing! I can guarantee you I ain't staring down the double barrel of AA23 double suited. This reraise is typical of the worst players playing. My thinking is that they buy in on a regular basis and have, what I call, a video poker mentality. They figure almost any hand can be a winner and when they see the money going in they pump it up, irrespective of their cards, cause they want to win BIG POTS.

So it's up to me. To reraise or call. If the circumstances were slightly different, if Donald Duck had put the first raise in and my reraise would mean that and now the limpers, having paid only one bet, would be facing two more I might consider just calling. I love loose callers and don't want to lose anybody. If I had been one of the limpers with a weak A3XX hand and was now facing a double bet I would ususally fold. Firstly it may well now be capped. Secondly you need a highly specific flop to carry on with the hand. Thirdly you are going to be paying at least two bets on the flop as somebody tries to protect their two pair or crappy straight. In such a case I'm happy to let the hand go preflop and watch them fight amongst themselves. A34X with the Ace suited I would call.

Anyho that's not the situation here. Players have already paid two bets so I figure there is little chance of anybody folding to two more. I like to raise and sometimes reraise with good low hands as, besides making money before the flop, it makes it correct to peel one off if only one low card flops. In addition nothing better than getting a loose player pot stuck with a bad hand.

I also like to win BIG POTS. I jam.

Make 'em pay before the flop. Make 'em pay on the flop. Make 'em pay on the turn. Make 'em pay on the river. That's what I say.

Goofy raises (10)

Mickey Mouse calls (10)

Huey calls (10)

Porky Pig calls (10)

Minnie Mouse calls (10)

Daffy Duck call! s (10)

Donald Duck calls (5)

28 SB in the pot. 7 players see the flop.

** Dealing Flop ** : [ 8s, 7d, 5s ]

Mickey Mouse checks.

Huey checks.

Porky Pig checks.

Minnie Mouse bets (5)

Daffy Duck folds.

Donald Duck calls (5)

Lovely Jubley! Nut uncounterfeitable low! (Quicky run out to the kitchen and put the champ... err ... non-alcholic sparkling white wine on ice). A bet to me, probably a straight. One caller. Call or raise? I'm guaranteed at least two callers if I do raise and I expect none of the loose players to fold to two bets if they have anything at all. Also if there is a sentient player who has the only other spade draw and it is bad he may fold, which could be highly profitable to me.

I jam.

Goofy raises (10)

Mickey Mouse calls (10)

Huey folds.

Porky Pig calls (10)

Minnie Mouse calls (5)

Donald Duck calls (5)

No reraise, aahh... can't cap. It also may mean nobody else has the low.

19 BB in the pot. 5 players see the turn.

** Dealing Turn ** : [ Ad ]

No problem that's what counterfeit protection is for.

Mickey Mouse checks.

Porky Pig checks.

Minnie Mouse bets (10)

Donald Duck calls (10)

Same situation now. I got the nut low. Again I am guranteed at least two callers so I like to raise. If anybody is still sticking around with spade draws, good or bad, fair enough (could still get a bad spade draw to fold). Make them pay - through the nose!

I jam.

Goofy raises (20)

Mickey Mouse calls (20)

Porky Pig calls (20)

Minnie Mouse calls (10)

Donald Duck calls (10)

29 BB in the pot. 5 players see the river.

Just as I make the raise I get this feeling of forboding. A black cat crosses my path. It's my cat but I still don't like it. It's one of those times when you say 'Bet whats going to come up on the river...'.

** Dealing River ** : [ 2h ]

A real kick in the nuts. What happened to my non-counterfeitable low? I guess it must be 25 to one to get runner counterfeited.

Reflecting on my raise on the turn I still like it. I guess that raise is still worth about $4 to $6 to me on average, even given possible quarters and counterfeits.

Mickey Mouse bets (10)

Porky Pig folds.

Minnie Mouse calls (10)

Donald Duck folds.

Now amid all this carnage, the thing I really hate happens when I don't have the nuts. A previously catatonic players player comes alive, on the river, and bets. Our enthusiastic limp reraiser has finally had enough though and folds. My decision making capability is slightly impaired at this point but there is no calling 'Time' in internet poker. Two bets to me and I would fold. Only one and I think I have to call for the size of the pot and that he needs specifically XX34 to beat me. Now in the cold light of day I see XX36 beats me as well. Well at the time it would take a better, or a worse, player than me to fold.

Goofy calls (10)

Okay lets see what beauties they have pulled out of the swamp to clobber me with...

** Summary **

Main Pot: $317 | Rake: $3

Board: [ 8s 7d 5s Ad 2h ]

Huey lost $20 (folded)

Dewey didn't bet (folded)

Louey didn't bet (folded)

Porky Pig lost $50 (folded)

Minnie Mouse bet $60, collected $79, net +$19 [ 5c 6d 5h 4c ] [ LO: 6,5,4,2,A | HI: a straight, four ! to eight ]

Daffy Duck lost $20 (folded)

Donald Duck lost $50 (folded)

Goofy lost $60 [ 3s 2s 9d Ac ] [ LO: 7,5,3,2,A | HI: two pairs, aces and twos ]

Mickey Mouse bet $60, collected $238, net +$178 [ 4d 3c 3d 6c ] [ LO: 5,4,3,2,A | HI: a straight, four to eight ]

allahaugh sits out

Dewey has left the table.

[ 5c 6d 5h 4c ] & [ 4d 3c 3d 6c ] what kind of Mickey Mouse hands are they? Well at least that makes me feel a little bit better.

As the table quickly breaks up I wonder why this only seems happens to me when I go up limits.

But there is a moral to this story.

If you JAM TODAY and get counterfeited there will be NO JAM TOMMOROW!

Comments?

Always be folding

Folding Pete

PS Sorry about the bad beat story.