PDA

View Full Version : Did I Play This Set Right?

grandgnu
11-08-2004, 08:21 AM
Tournament home game, start with 2000 chips. Blinds currently at 5/10 (i.e. early in the game)

I hold 8/8 in middle of field and raise to 30. Another player re-raises me to 60 and I call (everyone else has folded)

Flop is 8d 10d Ac

I bet 100 and get re-raised to 300 (exactly what I wanted) and move all-in and get called (again what I wanted) and find I'm not up against A/K but up against 10/10. My set loses to the other set.

Everything went down just how I wanted it to. I wanted him to re-raise me and I figured if I moved all-in he'd call, exactly what I wanted. Just didn't want him to flop a larger set than me. *smirk*

Did I bet correctly here?

Richie Rich
11-08-2004, 03:16 PM
If you were confident in your read that he had AK, then you made the right move. Others may suggest that there are different ways to play your spiked set on the flop, but in the end, all the chips were likely to be in the middle anyways. I think you played your hand fine, just got unlucky this time.

Photoc
11-08-2004, 04:46 PM
Sounds like no matter what hit the board, you wanted those chips in the middle. I would too if I flopped a set in a no limit game. You just got unlucky to run into 10 10. Which really isn't a reraising hand preflop anyways. I too would have put him on AK or a bigger pair than that.

slickterp
11-08-2004, 04:50 PM
i third that sentiment. a big preflop reraise like that says group 1, or 2. i would have played the hand the same way and lost just like you. maybe ask yourself if this is someone you play against regularly and he can read you middle pair and figure he has you beat w/ his TT in the first place. if not, then you're just unlucky here.

grandgnu
11-08-2004, 05:38 PM
Yeah, I figured I had played it right. Maybe he thought I was on A/K, A/Q or A/J since those I commonly raise with. So he probably thought he had my overcards beat.

Meanwhile I put HIM on overcards, didn't figure him for the pair. And yeah, you flop the set and there's two diamonds on the board and an 8/10/A so letting someone stick around too cheaply for a potential draw is a bad idea.

I bet only 100 chips, fairly weak, because I wanted to induce a re-raise which would then be met by my all-in and hopefully called (by what I believed to be A/K). Didn't work out so well, guess I just got unlucky. Ah well, that's poker. :P

Photoc
11-08-2004, 06:02 PM
I witnessed a similar play a few weeks back at the Palms while waiting for a seat. UTG raised to 50, MP called, button made it 100 to go. Both called. Flop was 10 5 3 rainbow. UTG comes out betting 200, MP raises all in (500 more, 600 to go), button reraises all in for 1000, and the UTG just calls.
Hands:
UTG 10 10
MP 3 3
Button 5 5

Set over set over set. Needless to say, UTG had them both covered. Now how do you put people on 2 other sets is what I"m wondering?

Cooker
11-08-2004, 11:47 PM
Set over set is almost impossible to get away from. You played that just fine. If you can't push when you hit the set, can you play 88 at all?