PDA

View Full Version : Smoking pot odds

italianstang
11-08-2004, 04:19 AM
This will sound like a very strange question. I know that "no serious poker player plays impaired by either drugs or alcohol" (despite Scotty and Men the Master getting plastered every time I see them live at a tournament). But I will ask the question anyway.

After getting real stoned, I am 20% more observant of the other players at the table including their tells, manerisms, betting patterns etc. However, I am 20% less able to be deceptive with my own tells and actions.

Assuming, and I know many will say that this is assuming a lot, that I am accurate in my quantifying of increased observance and lost deception, and assuming all other things are equal, does it make sense to smoke weed before playing poker?

gaming_mouse
11-08-2004, 07:36 AM
If I were you and I was playing in a small stakes game (where most of the other players will not be observing you anyway) I'd say, pass the bong my way, brother! Then I'd take a nice, long rip. And then I'd take another!

gm

Piz0wn0reD!!!!!!
11-08-2004, 07:16 PM
I dont like playing more than 4 tables while high off my ass.

IlliniRyRy
11-09-2004, 01:23 PM
I agree with the small stakes pot smoking. These people don't pay attention to anything, so there's no need to worry about giving away tells. I could probably beat the low limit games if I was simultaneously on every drug known to man. OK, maybe I'm exaggerating a little. Anyway, that being said, weed obviously changes your perception, and maybe its possible that you just THINK you can pick up tells more effectively. I know I feel like a genius when I smoke, but that's just a clever illusion. And maybe you're paranoid that people figured out your tells, weed has that effect too. Trust me though, weed doesn't enhance any skills at all.

italianstang
11-09-2004, 01:48 PM
While I may be tricking myself in to thining I am more observant, and tricking myself in to thinking that I am giving away tells and such, you can't say that weed doesn't enhance skills at all. I am capable of eating entire buffets under the influence, thats a skill. Also I seem to be able to stack my chips higher for some reason...

IlliniRyRy
11-09-2004, 02:31 PM
I stand corrected. Eating mass quantities of food is definitely a skill, hell they have a competition for it.

jakethebake
11-09-2004, 05:23 PM
A continuous big, stupid-looking, stoned grin is an excellent poker face. They'll never put ya on a hand. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

potted plant
11-09-2004, 06:24 PM
Similar to what Jake says, if you aren't playing with regulars who know who you are, it is +EV to let others know that you are high (as long as you aren't in possession) in a nonchalant kinda way. For example, don't try to cover the red eyes, say "what" a lot. Also recommend you intentionally showdown a horribly played hand or two. Trust me on this one, I am a plant.

Khern
11-11-2004, 09:52 PM
I used to play cards with a few other guys who would smoke beforehand. I think it may have helped them, but I think it was a unique combination of youth and drugged state. I suspect that, over time, it would hurt.

-John

Mayhap
11-11-2004, 10:50 PM
For a real thrill, chew on the button.
/M

mackthefork
11-12-2004, 06:00 AM
I have a friend with asperger's symdrome, when he smokes weed his IQ drops to about 130 and his social skills become also normal.

[ QUOTE ]
Trust me though, weed doesn't enhance any skills at all.

[/ QUOTE ]

Regards Mack

pokerstudAA
11-12-2004, 01:55 PM
My glaucoma makes it difficult sometime to distinguish between suits - thus making it quite difficult to play poker without some "medicinal" relief.

KingDan
11-12-2004, 11:23 PM
A friend of mine saw Ivey playing online on UB and asked him a few questions. Ivey mentioned smoking before every major tournament, it helps him relax.

sinfulslick18
11-13-2004, 01:39 AM
under the influence of alcohol or drugs. I find myself thinking that i can bluff everybody out of a hand. Do you guys run into that thought a lot or no?

sinful