PDA

View Full Version : Omaha 8 warning...

04-03-2002, 01:13 AM
This hand reminded me how important it is to have the nuts before you go all-in in P/L Omaha 8. It was my first hand of the day--I included the comments that followed. Would you have played it like this?

Game #172952796 - (blinds $1/$2) Pot Limit Omaha Hi/Lo 8 - 2002/04/02-12:02:12 (CST)

Table "Manora Bay" (real money) -- Seat 1 is the button

king kong: Post Small Blind ($1)

bombers : Post Big Blind ($2)

all_aces: Post ($2)

Dealing...

Dealt to all_aces [ 6s ]

Dealt to all_aces [ Ad ]

Dealt to all_aces [ As ]

Dealt to all_aces [ 9s ]

Frostback: Raise ($4)

dr.dimes: Fold

HATJR : Fold

SWM001 : Call ($4)

Buckstop II: Fold

slimmouse: Fold

all_aces: Call ($2)

zapper13: Fold

king kong: Fold

bombers : Fold

*** FLOP *** : [ Ac Qd 7c ]

Frostback: Bet ($8.50)

SWM001 : Call ($8.50)

all_aces: Call ($8.50)

*** TURN *** : [ Ac Qd 7c ] [ 5d ]

Frostback: Bet ($40.50)

SWM001 : Fold

all_aces: Call ($40.50)

*** RIVER *** : [ Ac Qd 7c 5d ] [ Qs ]

Frostback: Bet ($2)

all_aces: Raise ($14)

Frostback: Raise ($39)

all_aces: Call All-in ($6)

*** SUMMARY ***

Pot: $158.50 | Rake: $3

Board: [ Ac Qd 7c 5d Qs ]

zapper13 didn't bet (folded)

king kong lost $1 (folded)

bombers lost $2 (folded)

Frostback bet $94, collected $179.50, net +$85.50 (showed hand) [ Ts 5c Qc Qh ] HI: four of a kind, queens

dr.dimes didn't bet (folded)

HATJR didn't bet (folded)

SWM001 lost $12.50 (folded)

Buckstop II didn't bet (folded)

slimmouse didn't bet (folded)

all_aces lost $73 (showed hand) [ 6s Ad As 9s ] HI: a full house, aces full of queens

--------------------------------------------------

Frostback said, "nice"

all_aces said, "unbef***inglievable"

all_aces said, "good for you though, I hate this site"

Frostback said, "ty"

slimmouse said, "well , there's two contrasting opinions for ya"

Frostback said, "it is amazing sometimes"

I know, I know, just another bad beat at Paradise. Would anyone else have raised on the river?

04-03-2002, 02:01 PM
Warning: I don't have a great deal of experience at P/L O-8.

Unless the money is extremely deep, you should get busted on the river. If you can't stand this beat, stay away from big bet poker.

But look, he could easily have something like A-2-3-Q, in which case you have to have exactly A-A-2-3 to 3/4 him.

But because of the chance that he's got the low locked, you need to be a little careful.

Given arbitrarily large stacks, here's how the dance goes on the river:

He bets the pot. (I have a big hand)

You raise the pot (I have aces full)

He re-raises the pot (I don't care that you have aces full)

You call (Fine - let's see your A-2-3-Q).

Yes, it's another bad beat at Paradise, but why is Paradise significant here? It's a bad beat at Bellagio/Mirage/Paradise/Commerce/Foxwoods/LuckyChances. They happen. Next hand.

Regards, Lee

04-03-2002, 03:21 PM
I wouldn't worry about it--bad beats happen. He made his one outer, what can you do? IMO, players who raise UTG preflop with hands like [ Ts 5c Qc Qh ] or who bet the pot with that hand on the turn with a board of [ Ac Qd 7c 5d ] are going to eventually give back all their winnings and then some.

04-03-2002, 03:24 PM
Opps, didn't see the club flush draw so he had 7 other outs. Still seems like a dicey play for what may be half the pot.

04-03-2002, 06:58 PM
Yeah, I was surprised at his preflop raise with only T5QQ. Oh well, worked out well for him, so what do I know /images/wink.gif

On another topic altogether, does it seem strange to anyone that he said "nice" after this win? Once very recently in a $20 O/8 tourney, a guy (I won't mention his name) actually said "thanks" to me after taking about 3,000 of my chips in one hand. Suffice it to say I was pissed. Does anyone else here besides me think that the classiest think to say after a big win is nothing at all?

04-04-2002, 09:51 AM
"On another topic altogether, does it seem strange to anyone that he said "nice" after this win?"

No.

It appears that his comment was after you voluntarily showed your losing hand at the end. So I'm guessing you wanted some kind of response.

I don't play much pot limit but I think I might have mucked your hand for a pot size bet on the turn. You have no low and the board is double suited. The bet here could easily come from a hand like A 2 3 X suited or double suited (nut low with a freeroll for a flush). This would be consistent with his earlier raise.