PDA

View Full Version : Omaha vs HE and odds Q

04-01-2002, 01:22 AM
I had the pleasure of having an Omaha player on my right the other night. He took it upon himself to critique a couple of hands I played. He called the odds down to small percentages, ie, 5.3:1, etc.

I had not seen him play HE before and asked if he was normally an Omaha player, he said yes - phew, I breathed easier!. Many HE players at the LL tables I play at are pretty general about odds. They think they either have them or they don't, if they get that far.

I usually round the numbers myself. I must say I was rather impressed by him, and wished he would have hung around a while, what he had to say was a nice ego booster for me.

Was he an anomally, or is Omaha that odds intensive that you either need to know precise odds or do you learn them as a byproduct, rather than my 'about' odds? Thanks.

04-01-2002, 03:00 AM
Omaha high is a highly mathematical game. Very often the hand out there is obvious and the odds of making a better hand can be calculated precisely versus the pot odds. There is a lot more to game however.